» Fuel Tank cap
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

Falcon 74 Charging

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falcon 74 Charging

Post  kerabo on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:18 pm

I have just rewired a members Falcon 74. Everything woks but It shows no charge and no lights when on direct lighting no lights. Not quiet sure what output to expect from the 8E but it's able to light a 5w12v bulb bright when connected on the AC output from the engine. That's not a terrific amount of power and would think the rectifier will sap some of that. It has the same power at the rectifier but nothing on the DC output. I tried another rectifier but still the same. Pretty sure the rectifier wiring is correct.
Any ideas?

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 74 Charging

Post  Druid on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi Ken,
Does the 8E have a two pin socket I.e. 2 a.c. outputs? I think the large pin output should produce a max of about 25 W and the small 12 W. What type of rectifier are you using, if a modern silicon type you will get a forward volt drop of about 0.7 V so if your rectifier diode is ok you should get half wave rectification and the bulb should light but at about half the brightness as on the ac side. You can check the individual diodes in the rectifier using a 6V battery and bulb in series, the bulb should light with the rectifier connected in the circuit one way round but not if reversed. Hope this helps
Regards Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Charging

Post  kerabo on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks for that Druid. This is a single wire output from the charging coils. And it has the modern solid state rectifier, the small square type. As I said it lights a very small bulb but am guessing that after its passed the rectifier it will loose half of its phase? So will be even weaker.
The bike was presented to me minus tank and throttle so it's hard to run it propley. I have asked him to bring it back when it's fully rebuilt and I will look deeper. I just wondered what to expect from the output .

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 74 Charging

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top