» AMC 25T tickover
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm by mattyboy1975

» Alternator wires
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

Electrical problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Electrical problem

Post  RPILKY on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:04 am

I bought my 1965 Cruisers 75 in January it was not charging at first so the suppler rectified saying they had fitting a Solid State Rectifier, it seemed to be charging all right, but now it is back as it was at the first not charging, as any one got a diagram showing a rectifier fitted to my bike, PS the Black Direct switch now does work they it was because work carried out ?

Cheers Bob

RPILKY

http://RPILKY@AOL.COM

Back to top Go down

Direct switch.

Post  A7 JWO on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:27 pm

There was another thread very recently about this subject and the direct switch. mine too does not work with the modification, no problem.

A7 JWO

Back to top Go down

Re: Electrical problem

Post  Druid on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi Bob
How many terminals has you new rectifier? Are any of the terminals connected directly to the frame? Did you say that your lights are working with the headlamp switch in the direct position?
Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Electrical problem

Post  RPILKY on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Druid wrote:Hi Bob
How many terminals has you new rectifier?  Are any of the terminals connected directly to the frame?  Did you say that your lights are working with the headlamp switch in the direct position?
Dave
[strike][

Hi Dave
On My Rectifier 3 connections 3 in use, One + purple going to Ammeter, one Ac green going to Headlight switch No7.3rd Red comes from Magneto to ignition coil wire, every things work except in the Direct position, this position is dead,

Cheers Bob

RPILKY

Back to top Go down

Post  Druid on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi Bob
Your rectifier appears to be connected correctly ie -ve terminal not connected, does your ammeter show a positive charge with the headlamp switch in the parking and head light positions when you rev the engine? When you select the direct position does head and tail lights not work and what does tha ammeter indicate? Note that your lighting switch should have a link between terminals 1 and 2.
Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Post  RPILKY on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:29 am

Your rectifier appears to be connected correctly ie -ve  terminal not connected, does your ammeter show a positive charge  with the headlamp switch in the parking  and head light positions when you rev the engine? When you select the direct position does head and tail lights not work and what does tha ammeter indicate? Note that your lighting switch should have a link between terminals 1 and 2.
Dave

Hi Dave,
when I select the Direct Position lights don't work plus I don't get a charge,plus I get a charge with the head lamps Etc on,

Cheers Bob

RPILKY

Back to top Go down

Post  Druid on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi Bob
Assuming that you have the link between terminals 1 and 2 of the lighting switch and the yellow wire from alternator lighting coils terminal 1 of the switch is ok, which it appears to be from your observations of + charge when head light position is selected, then the problem appears to be with the switch itself. You need to carry out electrical continuity tests on the switch in direct position to check for contact operation I.e. You should have continuity between terminals 1 andt 7 and between terminal 1 to the dip switch common connection.
Dave.

Druid

Back to top Go down

Post  RPILKY on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:40 am

Assuming that you have the link between  terminals 1 and 2 of the lighting switch and the yellow wire from alternator lighting coils terminal 1 of the switch is ok, which it appears to be from your observations of + charge when head light position is selected, then the problem appears to be with the switch itself. You need to carry out electrical continuity tests on the switch in direct position to check for contact operation I.e. You should have continuity between terminals  1 andt 7 and between terminal  1 to the dip switch common connection.
Dave.

Hi Dave,
Your properly right my switch is in a very bad condition, and i have done the checks you suggested, and I will need new witch my mate as brand new one but its not got the direct switch position its got the off, P,H Positions,

Cheers Bob

RPILKY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top