» Contact breaker screw
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm by kerabo

» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

Explain this one to me !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Explain this one to me !

Post  piston 197 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:53 pm

About a year ago I was contacted by  man who had a Francis Barnett  Light Cruiser 175 for sale, he had owned it for 40 years, it was unrestored and scruffy and he wanted £600 pounds for it, and would like it to go to a FB enthusiast.
As you will appreciate it was a reasonable price and request, I have been contacted several times by club members and prospective club members looking for FB's ,
I contacted one such man and offered him the bike and for cost delivered it to Lancashire.
Now 12 months later the bike is for sale with a dealer for £1400 and the registration has been transferred to another vehicle.
The original owner has today contacted me expressing his unhappiness and defaming the fB club for not having control over what has happened to "his"bike and the profit being made out of it, Further he threatened to send letters holding the Fb club responsible for his unhappiness and  loss of prospective money ?
The guy who bought the bike off me had great difficulty in getting it to run, was fed up with it and part exchanged it for a Villiers engine machine.
How in the name of God this is anything to do with the FB club once the bike has been sold is beyond me, it left me complete and with it's original registration still attached, how we are supposed to be responsible for subsequent owner's actions is beyond me .

Feel free to explain the man's thinking to me about how he received what he was asking for it , namely £600, and is now 12 months later not happy with getting what he asked for ?, but do not be surprised if an uncomplimentary letter appears in the press
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Explain this one to me

Post  Cruiser Ron on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:14 pm

There is nought as queer as folks"

Cruiser Ron

Location : essex, Honda 250 francis barnett falcon 87 honda 400/4

http://ronbrown40@tiscali.co..uk

Back to top Go down

totally agree

Post  piston 197 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Yes Ron, but every now and then it just makes me think "what the hell am I doing this for ?"
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Explain this one to me !

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi John,

Some people are unbelievable !!!

I think I probably speak for very many FBOC & Other members when I say the work you do for us all and your immense knowledge which you share so willingly is irreplaceable thank you do keep going!!!

Peter

peter@dunfordconstruction

http://peter@dunfordconstruction.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Davies on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Using that logic, no doubt if he ever sells his house, he will give any uplift in value since he purchased it back to the original owner - or to charity?

Alan Davies

Back to top Go down

some people!!

Post  chrisc on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:44 pm

I don't think that there will be too many people in the owners club or on the forum that will take any notice of the rantings of the original owner, it was bought in good faith from him ,and sold on in good faith, traded in in good faith.....he obviously doesn't understand what good faith is .
So if he reads this let me try to explain, the enthusiasts that restore these wonderful old motorcycles do so not for gain, but for joy of keeping alive little bits of history, it's not about trying to screw every last penny out of other people.
If he wanted more money for it he should have restored it himself but I wonder if he realises that the time spent on restoring these machines far outweighs the value of the motorcycle when completed......so it's not about the monetary value we do  it for, we do it in Good Faith.
JH if you got paid for every minute you put into helping the motorcycle fraternity.....  well lets just say.......we couldn't afford you , keep up the Good Work and in Good Faith  ChrisC

chrisc

Back to top Go down

Loonies

Post  john87 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 pm

Just ignore the idiot...

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27 pm

John, I am sure you have the support of all FB club members.

Please keep up the good work, you put so much effort into helping us all in so many different ways.

As has been said, the guy is not worth bothering with.

Pete.
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  BarnettBilly on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:41 am

Hi John,

Firstly, I echo the sentiment in respect of your ever willingness to part your vast knowledge to us all, I know for one that I would be even further into my overdraft with my FB's had it not been for you!
Secondly, if the seller of the Light Cruiser was so adamant that his beloved bike should be restored (at great expense) and should be cherished, then why didn't he do it himself or hand it to a family member? Simple logic would say that if it meant that much to him, then why did he let it stand and collect dust and deteriorate over what was obviously several long years! A case of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

Your help is appreciated by us all.

Christian
BarnettBilly

Back to top Go down

Explanation

Post  MoscowFlyer on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:18 am

I endorse all that has been said already.

If he complains to the press about our club, it will be publicity for us, and it will make him look like someone who should have taken responsibility for his own actions, it's always easy to blame others. Besides who would want to buy a bike, that had strings attached. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

sad b&$$*"£%

Post  top brass on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:51 am

John if this idiot had a brain he would be very dangerous, what a plonker is he expecting us all to have a whip round,I think he must be smoking something !!!!!
Tony Wink
top brass

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Clegg on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Perhaps he'd be happy if you bought it back off the dealer John?
It seems he expected you to somehow guarantee future FB enthusiast ownership.
Well, you'd have to be a real enthusiast to buy that model at that price, so he might be happy yet. He's not the first & won't be the last goon you have to deal with I'm sure. Unpleasant experience though eh? TTFN Jack
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

further developments

Post  piston 197 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:21 pm

I have now been in Email receipt of the man's letter of discontent penned to the FBOC secretary with copies to myself, DVLA, Classic Bike and Real classic magazine.
I am not about to put it up on the forum, but have taken the liberty to forward it by Email myself to the secretary and also my reply to him.
Watch the press !
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re the letter.

Post  A7 JWO on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:27 pm

It sounds like it will be a rambling author who wrote it and will end up in any Editor's confidential waste, JH keep up the good work fella.

Regards Colin

A7 JWO

Back to top Go down

Sale Bike

Post  kerabo on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:33 pm

As said, if it means so much to him he should have kept it in his name and if wanting to see it used given it to someone on a long term loan. It is a shame to part a bike from its Reg but if there is quick money in it then people will do these things.

You can't keep all of the people all of the time.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

explain

Post  shazoak on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:41 pm

I agree with chrisc on his view.
Do you think a whip round for a dummy would help?
shazoak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top