Latest topics
» Villiers 2E
Today at 7:16 pm by ScottT

» FBOC AGM 12th August
Today at 4:13 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Today at 9:56 am by teebee67

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Today at 8:57 am by john87

» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

2 stroke oils

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2 stroke oils

Post  bigfoot on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:17 am

what are the consequences of mixing synthetic and mineral oil in the petrol. I got my Falcon last Feb, spent the summer fixing the things needed,now, i'm good to go.
Thing is, when I got it, it had a tank full of petrol, but I don't know what oil is in the petrol, I contacted the previous owner but he did not put it in. Do I discard it and start afresh. or run with what is in. what say you

bigfoot

Back to top Go down

stale fuel

Post  piston 197 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:09 pm

If the fuel has been in the bike from at least February , and god knows how long before that if the previous owner did not put it in, then it is likely to have lost a lot of it's octane rating and may be best suited to the bonfire. Suggest you do as you suggested and bin it /start afresh .
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 stroke oils

Post  bigfoot on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:32 pm

piston 197 wrote:If the fuel has been in the bike from at least February , and god knows how long before that if the previous owner did not put it in, then it is likely to have lost a lot of it's octane rating and may be best suited to the bonfire. Suggest you do as you suggested and bin it /start afresh .
JH

thanks John
I will do as you suggest. 20t engine, can not take any risks, god knows where I would get a piston form, should I need one.

bigfoot

Back to top Go down

oil

Post  john87 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:20 pm

And forget synthetic oils. Wait till you see what they do to "proper" oil seals... The makers will lie to you, trust me.... Just get ordinary two stroke oil, nothing fancy, but make sure it says it is NOT suitable for outboard motors. The outboard motor stuff, thanks to the americans, has had the "goodness" taken out of it so it will not poison fish. [Ever oiled a fish??]

Put in it whatever the makers recommended, presumeably straight 30, or, as i say, ordinary [nothing fancy] 2 stroke oil...

john....

john87

Back to top Go down

Oils

Post  kerabo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Sorry but I can't agree with you there John. When these bikes were made oils were very primitive . Just because the bike is old  don't mean it has to have Old oils.  There is a lot of very high recearch and technology gone into modern oils and there are some very good ones out there. It's a bad item to try to save money on.
Fully synthetic in all of mine. Hardly any smoke, plugs very clean,
I did ask around when I rebuilt my first Barnett and sikolene Recomended their Comp 2 premix ?
It may be a little over the top but gives me piece of mind.

My thoughts anyway
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

oil

Post  john87 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Money does not come into it.. It is what is right for the materials used. Modern oils are not suitable for old oil seal materials in EXACTLY the same way as modern petrol is not suitable for old rubber petrol pipes, fibreglass tanks etc..

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Oils

Post  kerabo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Ah well Can't win em all.
Will agree to disagree .
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

oil

Post  john87 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:11 pm

No Worries!!!!

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Oil

Post  colk2004 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Weird. As its the ethanol content in the petrol that rots out old fashioned seals, if its the 2 stroke oil as well then we have got problems. The general thinking with the Bantam owners club is (don't start a thread on premix, but thats another story) is run what you like as long as it's 2 stroke premix oil it's going to be better than the owners manuals, use straight 30 gearbox oil - chainsaw oil seems to be the lube of choice, but everything is going into Bantams from chainsaw oil to fully synthetic premix with no bother - just not injecftor as it's not designed to mix in a petrol tank. But I think the petrol is the problem not the oil, as I've just had to replace the fuel tap seals and carb jet bungs in a 25 year old Yam Virago as they've gone soft and sort of powdery on their surface and don't seal properly any more, and unless I'm greatly mistaken thats a 4 stroke. Best thing to do is ask the venerable British Two Stroke Club whether they've seen any problems with oils and old seals.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

In agreement

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:24 am

Fully support the above post, it is the petrol /ethanol content that destroys the rubber components, although less so in 2 strokes where there is oil in the mix as well.
Only thing I have heard about problems with synthetic oils is if left stood for a long time without use it tends to etch the main bearings where the balls sit against the race. I have no evidence of this and have been using synthetic two stroke oils since the 70's without adverse effect, initially Bellray oils in Ossa's, Montesa's and Bultaco's and from the 80's in Villiers powered competition and road bikes with no adverse effect, have been using Silkolene pre-mix for the last 20 years and have suffered no problems of any kind. The James 122 Cadet Competition that is my regular ride was rebuilt in 1996 and has been untouched internally since, is on standard ignition and still starts first or second kick hot or cold. It will not pull your hat off and does about 45 MPH flat out, but that is not the petrol or oils fault. It has been continually on the road from 2002, maybe I have been lucky ? or maybe there is not a problem.
Oil has moved on massively since the 1950's and nostalgia is not what it used to be !
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Oils

Post  kerabo on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:18 am

The claim or the comp 2 oil I use is that it sticks to surfaces on bikes that are used little and stops corrosion on metal parts on bikes such as trials racing machinery . I can back this up . When opening a bike up run on this everything seems shiny with a film of quiet thick oil. Thicker than what you pour in. So ideal for my use on bikes that stand .
It's a strange thing this oils subject. I guess everyone had a good and a bad experience and base the rest of their motorcycling on it.

Regards ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

2 stroke oils

Post  Cruiser Ron on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Having read an article by someone in Classic Bike august 2004 on oil, it says use
any 2stroke oil but look for API A2 on the label and ACAE A2 which is the standard.
"Today the the sort of 2stroke oil you"d put in a lawnmower is perfectly adequate for
two strokes including Villiers single or twin, Ariels, bantams etc" I have been running 2strokes on cheap oil with no adverse effects, you have to make up your own mind.

Cruiser Ron

Location : essex, Honda 250 francis barnett falcon 87 honda 400/4

http://ronbrown40@tiscali.co..uk

Back to top Go down

2 stroke oil

Post  bigfoot on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 am

thanks for all your comments, it was never this completed back in the day......

bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 stroke oils

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top