Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm by Dickey0-1

» Cruiser 75 Generator Coils
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

New (very sad) Bike Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New (very sad) Bike Help

Post  Bellissimmo on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, I'm a long time biker and recently sold my Harley. Being retired, I thought I'd spend the proceeds on a bike to restore. I went a bit OTT and bought a 'job lot' off ebay. Along with the restorable bikes, I also ended up with a very sorry looking Francis Barnett (picture is set as my avatar), so I'm here looking for advice.

First, I'd like to know something about the age and model of the bike. I know it was originally sold by Griffiths in Pontardulais, Wales because I found a tag on the rear mudguard. I have two numbers from the frame - the one on the LHS of the head-stock seems to be 5622C but I'm not 100% sure of some of the digits as the frame has been smothered in red oxide primer and then finished in lawnmower paint. I also have a number from the tube that passes from the rear of the tank to just behind the engine - 5789C (embossed) and MB (stamped). Again, not 100% sure of the numbers.

If I'm completely honest with myself, I don't know if I've got all the skills to put this bike back into rideable condition, let alone meeting the standard some of you guys have reached with your bikes, so I may have to consider passing this one on to a more capable owner.

Let's see how it goes.

Steve
Bellissimmo

Back to top Go down

sad bike ?

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:32 pm

It appears to be a falcon from the period 1955 to 1958 frame No will tell, the  number you have posted is a raised casting No and will tell nothing, the frame No is stamped in ,and is on the l/hand side of the steering headstock in front of the tank,
if it starts VM it is a falcon 70 and should be black
WM  1956 Falcon 74 and green
YM 1957 Falcon 74 and green
It is fitted with the Villiers 8E 197cc engine with the optional 4 speed Albion box, looks a bit of a labour of love rather than a profitable proposition this one.
Was this the collection for sale in Cardiff Wales which included a Norman, hope you did not pay what the Ebay seller was asking ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: New (very sad) Bike Help

Post  Bellissimmo on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for the guidance on numbers but the first number I quoted is on the left hand of the head-stock - where I expected the stamped-in number to be. maybe there's another number alongside the one I quoted. More scraping of paint!!

It is the lot from Cardiff and no, I didn't pay that! The Norman is in fairly good shape and two of the three bantams are in very good shape. I'm not really in this for a profit - I'll be happy to break even so that I can do it all again. If I do make a profit, I'll just buy better/bigger bikes next time. Very Happy
Bellissimmo

Back to top Go down

frame number

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Yes there are 2 numbers on the headstock , one is cast on and has 4 numbers followed by a C this is the casting number and is raised/cast on. All frames of this type have this same No., it is NOT the frame No.
The frame No is the one stamped/indented into the frame , hopefully it is still there ? this number is unique to this particular machine and will identify year ( fist letter) and model (second letter) then the unique serial No for this particular machine, have another look, you may have to remove some paint). and report back and I can tell you some more, the engine No is across the front engine mount and will consist of 3 numbers ,a letter and some more numbers ,as below
***A
The top number identifies the type of engine and the manufacturer it was supplied to as well as it's specification, the second row is the unique serial No
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: New (very sad) Bike Help

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top