» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

Frame Number location

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Frame Number location

Post  Alan Davies on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi, late dads 87 Falcon project underway - restoring it in memory of the great man. Can I find the frame number? No I can't!! I have searched and searched the internet and can only find references to "the left hand side of the head stock". I've looked there and I can see nowt. Could someone post a photo with an arrow pointing exactly where I'm supposed to find it!! Reading the forums, I understand that unusually they can be missing or perhaps its been in an accident and repaired, hence lost? Is this pub talk?
Yours, extremely grateful.
"Alan of Dorset"

Alan Davies

Back to top Go down

Re: Frame Number location

Post  Jack Clegg on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Alan, if you cannot find it on the left side headstock, look again for signs of filing or polishing. That is where it should be. Most likely removed, but could be an anomaly.
TTFN Jack
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Davies on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Cheers Jack - I will keep looking - if all else fails I guess I will need to source another frame with V5 to get it registered etc.... I hope to attend a meet sometime and so may get a chance to look at a bike and see exactly what I'm looking for. On the other side (right) the raised casting number is still clear.
Kind regards
Alan

Alan Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Clegg on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi Alan, no need to source another frame if yours is good in all other ways, just source some stamps & research the correct prefix & pick the right five figure number.
I've seen plenty of FB's with numbers stamped in totally the wrong place; plainly dodgy, but probably nicked a very long time ago & owners long gone. Thieves dead too I should hope. Some are the product of cloning - where someone tries to match an unregistered bike to an old buff log book. You may get an age related plate if you have no proof - V5C or old log book. If you have you're laughing, as you have the correct number to be reproduced.
Jack Clegg

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Davies on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 am

Thanks Jack - advice much appreciated

Alan Davies

Back to top Go down

you could be lucky ?

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Unfortunately if you guess at a number and stamp it on, and it clashes with one someone is already using, you will receive a visit from the boys in blue, as will the owner of the other bike with the same number, and one of you will be in trouble ?
Odds on getting a unique number are good , but not certain, my advice don't risk it !
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Frame number

Post  A10 JWO on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:57 pm

If your frame number was ground down, the number will still be there albeit not visible to the naked eye. The Stolen Vehicle Squad at Chalk Farm, North West London, used to apply a great heat to these areas and expose the number. The affected area will change colour which reveals the number ( Don't ask ).
I have a full set of stamps for frame stamping, probably the right size if you want to borrow them.

Regards, Colin

A10 JWO

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Davies on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks guys. Top advice - I will keep looking and use a hot air gun to heat the area up and contact you Colin if they reveal themselves and need to borrow the stamps.
Very grateful for all the responses.
Kind regards
Alan

Alan Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Clegg on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:04 pm

I heard it was an acidic chemical the Police use to reveal number stamps. Something to do with the density of the metal being different under the stampings. Seen one revealed by Police back in 1983 & it stays revealed.

It is a shame to waste a good frame for the lack of a number, but a very very close inspection of the bare metal on the left headstock should show some something.
Even if you recovered the number there are no records for stolen vehicle VINs before about 1980ish. Most of these bikes were nicked well before then.

One would of course have to do much research before plumping for any number.
Perhaps the Dating Officer will have forgotten all of this thread by the time you get around to registering it.
Jack Clegg

Back to top Go down

dating

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:31 pm

I have no problem dating any numbers I am given as long as the stamping is Kosher, the problem comes when the number is duplicated with another, I cannot tell this , but DVLA can and that is when the brown stuff hits the whirly thing ! If the stamping looks correct, is in the right place and correct for that machine and I do not know it has been faked, it will get past me, but not past Swansea
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Vin number.

Post  A10 JWO on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:15 pm

I also agree with the acid application made by Jack Clegg. I think the hot air gun will not be hot enough. Oxyacetylene was used and acid, depends on whether the number has been ground down on a cast engine block or steel frame. Whatever route you use, think of safety first, ventilation etc.

Good luck

A10 JWO

Back to top Go down

Post  fulmar88 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Another option, should you have access, is x-Ray. It is used extensively in archaeology to examine lumps of earth to avoid damaging delicate objects within. I would think a frame number would be quite visible should you be able to find someone to do it.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Davies on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Guys - I'm really grateful for all the comments, and people taking the time to reply - its really encouraging when starting a project like this having never attempted something like this before. I will post the odd update! If anyone is in the south Dorset area and wants to pop in, stand in the garage to talk beer, fags (Hang on - I don't smoke!) , and restoration, they are more than welcome to PM me!

Kind regards, Alan

Alan Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top