Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

» Carb problems.
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm by Sgtbiro

Front wheel

Go down

Front wheel

Post  Mariotapullu on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi All,
Let me introduce myself as best as I can do in English.( not my mother language).
I own a FB Falcon in Malta which I have for quite some years, this summer I started working on it after years of hibernation. The Villiers engine started fine to my amazment but the tyres where KAPUT. So I started removing the front one Evil or Very Mad to have the tyre renewed.
After putting a new tyre 3.00x18 I realized that at some point the locknut (21) opposite the shoes face had been replaced with some washers as spacers. So I decided to turn a locknut as to the manual's specs,3/16" high. But unfortunately i have a the wheel touching the mudguard brigde piece. I have been looking into this isssue for some days, where have I gone wrong? Crying or Very sad

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

Wheel

Post  kerabo on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:59 pm

What year FB Falcon is it?

The mudguard bridge is a very sensitive thing . If its too low or too high the bridge is very close to the tyre. You should measure your wheel rim to the forks and be sure the wheel is central. Then look at the Mudguard and see if it follows the contour of the wheel.

I am coming to Malta in 2 weeks time for my Daughters wedding If your stuck maybe I can help.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

front wheel

Post  Mariotapullu on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 pm

22:16:11

It is a 1957 model, I will check your comments especially the brigde location which might be the culprit. Is there a method to bring the wheel closer to the centre..?
I would definetley like to meet you if you happen to come over to Malta. I hope I will not be abroad. Am I right seeing you own a Sunbeam S8 as well, i have an S7 as well collecting dust, it was never an easy starter!

quote="kerabo"]What year FB Falcon is it?

The mudguard bridge is a very sensitive thing . If its too low or too high the bridge is very close to the tyre. You should measure your wheel rim to the forks and be sure the wheel is central. Then look at the Mudguard and see if it follows the contour of the wheel.

I am coming to Malta in 2 weeks time for my Daughters wedding If your stuck maybe I can help.

Regards Ken[/quote]

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

Re: Front wheel

Post  kerabo on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Well check those things and see how it goes.
I did bring a wheel over by turning every spoke a quarer turn but try to avoid that.
Where in Malta are you. We shoukd have a beer .
My wife from Valletta
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariotapullu on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 pm

kerabo wrote:Well check those things and see how it goes.
I did bring a wheel over by turning every spoke a quarer turn but try to avoid that.
Where in Malta are you. We shoukd have a beer .
My wife from Valletta
Ken

I live in Tarxien 10 mins drive from Valletta. A beer is not correct, some beers even better lol.
I would love to meet you, and even take you around in one of my classic cars ( All British).
Am I right having both spindle nut and the opposite locknut tightened?

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

wheel

Post  kerabo on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:33 am

Yes everything should be reasonably tight.

I have sent you a PM
Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariotapullu on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi Ken. I have tried to see your PM but for some reason inbox is empty. Maybe my mistake ?
I have tried lowering the bridge on my Falcon this was the best position but the wheel still rubs the bridge.
Maybe the bike has had some impact in the past and the bridge is narrower. I will have to take the m. Guard off to inspect.

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

Post  kerabo on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Mario
I am getting your pm messages but although it says mine are sent they don't show in the sent folder.
Can you send me your email address on a pm please.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  scootsx2 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:25 pm

I had to play around with the bridge piece on my '56 Falcon to get it to clear the wheel and tire properly. The bridge piece had some odd bends/twists and I had to straighten the front fender a bit so I think a previous owner might have had a mishap with the bike at some time. If not that then someone of the "if it doesn't fit, force it" persuasion may have worked on it in the past.
scootsx2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariotapullu on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:15 pm

I have taken the bridge off and already Noticed a defect. At some point in time it has been tempered with. The end piece which is rubbing has been cut off and instead being re welded in line rest of the bridge it was re welded against the side. This creates a double wall which makes the bridge about 2 mm closer to the tyre. The other side is still in one piece.

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

front wheel

Post  andy-s on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:21 am

Hi don't know if it helps but the bolts on my Falcon 74 are in line with the wheel rim with no problems.
Andy
andy-s

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariotapullu on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:41 pm

I have checked this but unfortunately the bridge has the same daylight distance from the bolts up to where the radius starts. Thanks

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariotapullu on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I have checked this but unfortunately the bridge has the same daylight distance from the bolts up to where the radius starts. Thanks

Mariotapullu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum