» plating on falcon 67
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 am by alan67

» 1954 Falcon 67
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

Falcon 58 tufnol fork bushes

Go down

Falcon 58 tufnol fork bushes

Post  falcone on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

I am in the process of replacing the tufnol fork bushes in my Falcon 58 and I am wondering which way up they go. They have a central annular groove into which the oil nipple will go, and a helical groove running to one end. Should the helical groove run upwards or downwards?

Thanks

Marcus

falcone

Back to top Go down

tufnol bushes

Post  piston 197 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:17 am

Marcus, as the fork slider has both up and down movement through the bush , I cannot see it making a blind bit of difference the oil will get wiped through the spiral groove whichever way it is up ?
piston 197

Back to top Go down

tufnal bushes

Post  MoscowFlyer on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:24 am

Hi Marcus, I've had a look in my books and there is no reference to which way these bushes go, my guess would be is to face the groove in the upwards position, this way the oil would be forced upward and then it would run back down around the bush. If fitted downward, the oil would just run away from the bush.

Interestingly in the Instuction Manual it says, these bushes were only suppied to over-seas customers, the reason was, after the bushes had been fitted they needed to be line reamered. For home customers, they needed to return the forks to the works. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Falcon 58 Tufnol fork bushes

Post  falcone on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks for your replies - I was inclined to think that the groove should go upwards for the reason that Mike suggested, but I have looked at the old forks and it looks as though they are going down!
In case anyone is interested, I was able to get the bushes (and seals) from Bantam John thanks to a suggestion from JH at Kempton.
For those that don't know, there are two different diameters of fork slider fitted to these bikes - the earlier are about 28mm and the later ones are about 28.5 (or maybe 1 1/8"), so it is important to get the correct bushes. Although both types of fork seem to be 1 1/2" o.d (on the non sliding part), the bore is smaller on the later models (about 34.0 rather than 34.6). This means that the outside diameter (as well as the inside diameter) of the two types of bush is different. I realised this when trying to fit old type sliders to new type forks!
The reamer that belongs to the club seems to have gone missing, but I have obtained a long pilot adjustable reamer of the correct size, and I hope this will work with a little adaption.

falcone

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 58 tufnol fork bushes

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum