» 1954 Falcon 67
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

» Carb problems.
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm by Sgtbiro

Falcon 87 electrics

Go down

Falcon 87 electrics

Post  kevb on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:16 pm

I have had a closer look at the wiring diagram Vs the actual wiring on the bike. Some one has spent a lot of time soldering wires in to by pass the rectifier Why? Both battery terminals are wired directly into the switches on the head light. One a Brown is linked to both Ignition and Head lamp switch. The other a Translucent goes to the ignition switch. The rectifier is completely by passed, although is there. Now this must have been done to try and repair a fault at some time I would imagine. This is the problem with taking on someones unfinished projects.You will never know who has been messing with things and what the reason behind it was. The colours on the wiring diagram and the colour of wires on the bike vary. This will be a head ache for me. I am going to put the battery on and see what actually works and what does not when I get to it. There is a solid wire in its own sheath called on the diagram RESISTANCE WIRE any one know what that does? It is spliced into the translucent wire that travels from + battery terminal to Ignition switch. Looks like a very time consuming job to one that's not electrically inclined.
Any tips or advice welcome

kevb

Back to top Go down

wiring

Post  kerabo on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:50 pm

The resistance wire controls the voltage available to reach the battery when on normal. When on emg it's bypassed hence the high charge. With the rectifier missing or bypassed you most likely have AC current going to the battery which is not good .

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 electrics

Post  banjo boy on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Kev sorry to hear of your head ache with the electric wires that don't seem to be right, only all I can say is perhaps start from scratch and get a new loom I was going to get one for my bike from Catmando service's if my repair did not work,but they cost about 70. I used him when I bought a new loom for my Matchless 8yr ago and was very helpful
regards
Laurence

www.catmando-services.co.uk
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Falcon electrics

Post  kevb on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks for replies. The problem I have with this project is I am unsure of what else is wrong with the bike. Spending 70 on a new wiring loom would be fine if it sorted the problem. In my experience you can easily spend more on bits than the finished item is worth. The last project bike I rebuilt was a Suzuki GT 750 that cost me around 5K in parts alone. But my bike was worth much more when complete. My little Franie may turn out to be a money pit. I am looking to spend as little as possible and end up with a usable classic.

kevb

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 electrics

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum