Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

» Carb problems.
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm by Sgtbiro

Falcon 87 Electrics

Go down

Falcon 87 Electrics

Post  kevb on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Hello Everyone

Been having a look at my falcon project today. The rectifier is in place but the wires from it are not connected to anything, they are all cut and taped up. Front disc from same terminal a green and a green and yellow. Second disc from same terminal a Yellow and a Blue. Third disc is a White. All wires are there just not connected to anything. The chap I bought it from said all the electrics work fine, although I have not tried them myself. Is it possible to run the bike with the rectifier by passed? Also there is only one terminal on the horn. I have always had two on other bikes. Will it earth through the body?
Any info welcome
Kev

kevb

Back to top Go down

AMC Engine I Assume...

Post  ChrisTurner on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:08 pm

I have looked for a wiring diagram for this but without success. However, to try to answer your questions, yes you can run the bike without the rectifier in circuit but probably not for long. As I understand it, the rectifier's only job is to convert AC current, as produced by the alternator, to DC in order to charge the battery which in turn supplies the ignition coil and lights. So, as long as there is power in the battery, or the coil and lights are fed directly from the alternator, the engine will run. Indeed, as I recall, there should be an "Emergency" position on the switchgear which actually bypasses the rectifier when used so that all the available output from the alternator is diverted to the ignition for starting purposes when the battery is flat. To run the lights direct is entirely unsatisfactory of course as the life of the bulbs will be short when powered directly due to voltage surges as the revs rise. Many owners have discarded the old rectifier in favour of a modern solid state one like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECTIFIER-solid-state-universal-for-positive-negative-British-motorbikes-/260897723668?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3cbeb75514 which comes with a suitable wiring diagram. As regards the horn, a single wire connection is unusual. It should have two wires, one being supply from the battery, and the other to one terminal of the horn button. The horn button when pressed, contacts earth, thus completing the circuit and activating the horn. Some machines reverse this, i.e. supply goes to one horn button terminal and the other to one horn terminal. The circuit is then made either by a second terminal on the horn or the horn body itself when the button is pressed. Yours sounds like the second type if there is only one wire. I think it is fair to say that the most "Bodged" components on any motorcycle is likely to be the wiring and my recommendation if there is any doubt about its integrity would always be to scrap the lot and start afresh with a new harness. Hope this helps! Chris
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Falcon 87

Post  kerabo on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:12 pm

You want a solid state rectifier .
I still have a few copies of original factory diagrams about 20" x 30" if anyone wants one 7.00 folded or 8.00 in a tube posted
Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Falcon 87 Electrics

Post  kevb on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks Chris. As you say the wiring looks to be bodged, I wonder why the rectifier has been by passed? I have ordered a solid state rectifier as the link you gave me. I will try and download a wiring diagram for the Falcon 87 and may have to start again from scratch. I am fully qualified Mechanical Engineer and anything mechanical is usually not beyond my capabilities, but electrics are always somewhat of a mystery to me, wire colours don't usally match etc etc if anyone can help with advice or tips. that would be great.
Kev

kevb

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 Electrics

Post  banjo boy on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:46 am

Hi Kev
I have a model 87 like you and electrics are not my strong point either,but I did sort my one out I sat and studied the diagram and repaired and replaced wire's that looked no good,when i removed my wiring harness I took pictures and labeled the wires from where I removed them put harness flat on my bench and traced the wires and I also fitted a solid state rectifier took my time and it seems to all work at the moment.have go there is a lot of help here.
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Hello Banjo

Post  ChrisTurner on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:40 am

Any chance you could let me have a copy of the wiring diagram for the 87 if you still have it please. It's missing from my collection. Thanks. Chris
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Wiring diagram

Post  kevb on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 am

Hello chaps.
I looked among the folder of paper work that came with the bike and I have a Falcon 87 wiring diagram.
The drawing shows 4 connections 2 DC and 2 AC. DC side +earth -brown that travels to the head light switch and ignition switch. The 2 AC terminals show 1 white that connects to the alternator and the other side shows 2 wires from same connection both LT green 1 to alternator the other travels to the ignition switch. I have ordered a solid state rectifier and this should have a wiring diagram with it that may or may not help me. As I only had a quick look yesterday at the wiring (still working on other jobs at the moment) I will need to get my head around the wiring circuit. There was definitely no Brown coming from existing rectifier. There is a yellow and Blue connected to it that does not show on my wiring diagram. I will try and work it out later. If any one wants a copy of the wiring diagram PM me. I have only a hard copy at the moment. But I will scan it to my computer, then I can send it via email. That will be next week when I go back to work.
Cheers Kev

kevb

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:34 pm

The Cruiser 80 wiring is the same as the Falcon 87 with only different lengths of wire. I recently purchased a new wiring loom for my Falcon 87.

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum