» Cruiser 1955
Yesterday at 9:56 pm by Ianh

» VILLIERS 1H
Yesterday at 9:17 pm by Ianh

Powerbike pedals

Go down

Powerbike pedals

Post  kerabo on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Can anyone tell me the thread used on the pedals as fitted to the Powerbike 56. I know they are 9/16" but unsure of the thread and cant decide on 20 24 or 26 tpi. I do know one is LHF.
I have spoken to Des Heckle but want a second opinion.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Powerbike pedals

Post  FB vincent on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:10 pm

kerabo wrote:Can anyone tell me the thread used on the pedals as fitted to the Powerbike 56.  I know they are 9/16" but unsure of the thread and cant decide on 20 24 or 26 tpi. I do know one is LHF.
I have spoken to Des Heckle but want a second opinion.

Regards Ken

Ken,

I think you will find they are threaded 9/16" x 20 tpi.

The correct pedals for the Powerbike 56 are one piece moulded rubber with an FB emblem included in the moulding. New Hudson also used a one piece moulding for the late restyled Autocycles, but with a John Bull name. It appears to be impossible to dismantle moulded pedals to get to the bearings.

Contemporary bicycles used a similar crank and pedal thread, but autocycle (and British made moped) pedals are heavier than those used on bicycles. The new moulded pedals currently offered are far too light and small for an autocycle.

I fear that useable original Powerbike pedals must come into the hens teeth category!

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Pedals

Post  kerabo on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks Sandy

Yes eventually I came to that conclusion of 20 tpi . Was going to weld the hole up and retap it but moped land will do it for the price of a tap. My pedals are John bull and in good condition but just need to run a dia down the thread to clean it so I will check with local cycle shops to see if they can help.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re:Powerbike Pedals

Post  MoscowFlyer on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi Ken, I have the manual/spares books for the Powerbike 50 and 56, there is no mention of pedal thread size, the picture below is from the model 56 book. I also spotted a pair of pedals on ebay. Mike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autocycle-Mobylette-Motobecane-Peugeot-Velosolex-New-Moped-Pedals-Smaller-Type-/130896088202?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e7a03cc8a

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

pedald

Post  kerabo on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks mike
Found out now between Des and myself they all seem to be 9/16" 20 tpi. Special to pedals .
Happy new year
Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Powerbike pedals

Post  FB vincent on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:55 am

Mike,

A pair of the new block style pedals with reflectors collapsed under HPA (Heavy Pedal Assistance) when temporarily fitted to my Powerbike; restarting a single speed autocycle on a hill requires real muscle.

I have not tried the new rubber moulded pattern, but they look rather small and dainty for autocycle use although might be suitable for a moped.

Used heavy traditional block pattern pedals do occasionally come up for sale and can be overhauled with new ball bearings; old moulded pedals of the New Hudson restyled type (and Powerbike) cannot be dismantled to get to the bearings. There is no easy answer, but for frequent and serious autocycle road use I would go for traditional block pattern pedals as sold in the early 1950's and repair them as necessary. Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Re: Powerbike pedals

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum