» Contact breaker screw
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm by kerabo

» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

Falcon clutch problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falcon clutch problem

Post  kevb on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:15 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post so here goes. I have a just bought a 1965 Francis Barnett falcon engine prefix is V20T if that helps. Its had much work done to it according to the previous owner, but not by him so I am working through it steadily. The one thing that jumps out at me is the clutch action is very heavy. It is really hard to pull the clutch lever in . It seems to move the arm in and out but is far too stiff to be correct. Anyone have any thoughts on what to check. Last time I came across this problem was on a BSA Golden Flash, turned out to be the clutch push rod that goes through engine casings had bulged at the end, causing it to foul in the hole. A new rod cured it. Not sure if this clutch will have the same arrangement. Anyone know.
Thanks kevb

Last edited by kevb on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

kevb

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon clutch problem

Post  Ted Snook on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:24 pm

I always balance up my clutches and make sure that the plates withdraw evenly, and to do this the springs must all be identical in length and the same poundage - goes without saying the the basket must not be badly notched.  If it is, careful fileing can correct it..
I bought a set of new springs from Villiers, and sad to say they were over length and miles too strong; coil binding well before the plates were withdrawn.
If yours are like mine were, and you have access to a bench grinder, you can shorten them to correct the length and reduce the outside diameter (reducing the cross section of the wire reduces the poundage).  You must be competent with tools or you will scrap them.
Alternatively, get some of the correct length and poundage.  I couldn't at the time, but I now have a perfect clutch.
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  kerabo on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:30 am

You will benefit from a nylon lined clutch cable. It is possible its adjusted to hard but you will be surprised what a good cable can do .

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon clutch problem

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top