Yesterday at 9:56 pm by Ianh

» VILLIERS 1H
Yesterday at 9:17 pm by Ianh

FB Autocycle / 1938/9/40 powerbike model 50

Go down

FB Autocycle / 1938/9/40 powerbike model 50

Post  johnsutherland on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi All,
I have just completed a nut and bolt restoration of my FB Autocycle.
98cc Villiers junior engine which is running great. Not the De Lux version.
I got it professionally sprayed black, as this was the original colour and apparently a limited edition.
Im about to sell it and if there is anyone interested please PM me.
The price, Well I have not a clue, what do these bikes sell for?
let me know your thoughts??

How do I post photos on here??

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

Images.

Post  MrTweedy on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm

There is a sticky at the top of the General Chat forum page that explains how to display images.

Regards

Matt
MrTweedy

Location : East Lothian, Scotland. 1949 Francis Barnett Merlin. 1953 Ambassador Supreme. 1969 BSA Starfire (in bits).

Back to top Go down

Re: FB Autocycle / 1938/9/40 powerbike model 50

Post  johnsutherland on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks Matt.

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

price

Post  piston 197 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

The price is more dependent on what someone will pay, but there is currently a very nice restored example on Ebay which is at 800 at the moment with 2 days to go as a guide price ( Ebay item No 221596340314) Although this is the later model 56
JH

Last edited by piston 197 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
piston 197

Back to top Go down

power bike

Post  johnsutherland on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi John,
That bike looks very like my one, although on close inspection its so different.
They defiantly changed a few parts during the years.
I will watch with interest on what it sells for, its in really good condition, but as the owner says, its been a display model for years, will it go?

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

will it go ?

Post  piston 197 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Getting it going is the cheap part, ,paint, chrome, wheel building and missing parts are where the money goes, I would always prefer to buy an immaculate non runner compared to a rough one that ran well !, I regularly see people pay more for an original unrestored machine to do up , than they will pay for one already done ? An old man told me " Don't buy work , people will give you work for nothing "
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  MrTweedy on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Perhaps part of the fun is making it run though? I've learned so much from my Merlin simply because it didn't run when I got it, and I wanted to make it run. So I asked questions, investigated, tinkered, dismantled, asked more questions, bought parts, etc etc and as a result I now have a running bike, a greater knowledge and I'm in a much much better position to know what to do when it stops running...again.

Matt

MrTweedy

Location : East Lothian, Scotland. 1949 Francis Barnett Merlin. 1953 Ambassador Supreme. 1969 BSA Starfire (in bits).

Back to top Go down

barn find

Post  johnsutherland on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Good discussion, but Matt I agree with you, I received a barn find and found it enjoyable asking and sorceing original parts, John You helped with the age, and design.
But Now I have an original restored bike for sale, If it was to be branded "another mans work" or " a rough one that ran well" I would be extremely disappointed.
understandably I would not buy The one on ebay as I enjoy the restoration rather than the showing. hence it works both ways, I restore bikes for other people to show them, Best of both worlds. its worked for me for the last 15 years.

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

missed point

Post  piston 197 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:41 pm

You both missed the point, I was saying I would rather start with all of the "cosmetics" done and tend to the mechanicals, mostly because most of us have not got our own polishing and chroming plant ,few can do wheel building and even less a good paint job now that harmful paints need extraction to stop us getting cyanide poisoning, but getting an engine running and tending to mechanicals is the fun bit ? The original poster was suggesting the bike on Ebay looked good ,but did it run? I merely stated I would rather embark on a mission to get it to running and not have to attend to the "chromosexual" part of buffing and polishing that someone had already done .
You have probably seen the ISDT FB I have just finished, cheapest part was building the engine and getting it running, then buying the bike, then special parts that had to be manufactured, but the dearest was chroming,painting, fasteners etc
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

correct

Post  johnsutherland on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Yes John, Misunderstood you, and I agree with you now, the cost certainly escalates with the cosmetics.

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

Post  MrTweedy on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 pm

People buy bikes for different reasons I suppose. My Merlin was built in 1949 and has all the scrapes, knocks and chipped paint that comes with 65 years of use and I wouldn't dream of restoring it. In fact, I would definitely pay more for an original, untouched bike than an overly restored one. But then I would probably keep it that way rather than spending the money making it look like a new bike.
I also have a BSA Starfire that has been butchered by previous owners, including 5 paint resprays, that's being restored at present but the Merlin is completely original and I'm happy to keep it like that.

Vive la difference, that's what I say!

Matt

MrTweedy

Back to top Go down

still missing the point ?

Post  piston 197 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Oh dear what have I started, yes I have unrestored original untouched bikes as well including one that still bears all of its competition dents and even the paint dabs added at the 1956 ISDT, but I have done all of the mechanicals and refitted all old bolts fasteners etc, My restored ISDT bike was 50% complete and had been butchered after years of being ridden around a farm, the only way with this was to restore/repair/rebuild.
The original post you are still mis-understanding was the posters concern that the bike looked good,but did it run, I merely stated that whether it ran or not was not the problem as it could easily be got to run, I would have said exactly the same thing if it was total original with patina, whereas if it was badly corroded or had missing parts then this would be of more concern, of the 30 or so bikes I have 4 are restored. I am not suggesting restoration at all costs in fact the opposite, I am merely saying that if it did not run , getting it to run was not a problem to put you off when everything else appeared to be o.k. and complete
I appreciate we are all different and some are "more different" than others.
I bought 4 bikes at Bonhams yesterday 2 basket cases and 2 unrestored bikes, none of these run am I worried NO there were 58 lots there yesterday most of which were restored, people bought all sorts , but did we hear any of them run NO, hence my original post " not to worry if it did not run"
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  MrTweedy on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am

It's all just friendly discussion, I understand your point and do agree with you. I recently got given a 1930s Rudge Whitworth racing bicycle in a terrible condition, I've spent 300 or 400 getting it running again but it's probably only worth a quarter of what I've spent on it. Ah well, it's been a fun project though.

We have somewhat hijacked this thread though, sorry... Embarassed

Matt
MrTweedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum