Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm by kerabo

» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

Clutch plates and drive gear for 1938 Cruiser

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clutch plates and drive gear for 1938 Cruiser

Post  sethasaurus on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Hello folks,

I have been keeping an eye out for parts for my clutch but so far, nothing on ebay, etc.
Does anybody have spares for this model?
I am in need of the plain circular plate and the plate that has the smaller corks in it (the one with the 5 tabs around the circumference that slot into the gear plate).

The bike came to me with only 3 plates - pressure plate with cush-rubbers, gear plate and outer pressure plate. It seemed like it would work ok, and the PO said there was only a little slippage when road-tested (although it wasn't ridden far). SO I guess it would work as-is, although I would rather have the proper setup in place.

Something else I can't seem to get my hands on is the engine output gear (23T). Mine is badly worn and missing a tooth. I am looking at sourcing a new sprocket and doing a 'tooth transplant' onto the original hub.
If anyone knows how to get the damn thing off the shaft, that would be a great help too..

Also, many thanks to Keith for sending me his surplus cork sheet!

Seth
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

clutch plates and drive gear for 1938 cruiser

Post  top brass on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 am

Hello Seth why don`t you send your sprocket to John Hemming 01547 530759. (sprockets made to pattern or drawing) he made a rear wheel sprocket for my falcon 87 I always use him. Tony.
top brass

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch plates and drive gear for 1938 Cruiser

Post  sethasaurus on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks Tony. I might have to do that.

Seriously though, I'm damned if I can get the sprocket off, so I won't be able to send it to anybody!
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

clutch plates and drive gear

Post  top brass on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:43 am

Hi Seth do you have a hub puller if not invest in one or hire one I have never had one beat me, don`t put heat on it or you could damage the R/crank seal. John Hemmings retooths sprockets as well. Tony.
top brass

Back to top Go down

Post  sethasaurus on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 pm

Tony,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of heat, but currently I have nothing to heat it with, so I have been saved from an error!

I was unsure if the bush was screwed on or just fitted to a taper. Since I haven't seen a crank like this without gears fitted, I was a bit puzzled. I figured since it has been on there for many years it will not be easy to get off..

Would go and buy a puller but I just spent my weekly 'bike allowance' (self-imposed) so I'll have to wait, or I might try the garage just 2 blocks away and see if they'll loan me one.

sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

engine sprocket

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:32 am

The sprocket on these pre-war engines is threaded onto the shaft, warming up to loosen will not hurt as there is no conventional rubber seal behind the sprocket, If knocking off use a wooden drift so as not to damage sprocket
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

1938 Cruiser Drive Gear

Post  MoscowFlyer on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 am

Yes I've just read that it's also locked on with a grub-screw, see below. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

clutch plates and drive plates

Post  top brass on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Seth good old J H. came up trumps, cracked it. Good luck.
Tony. Very Happy
top brass

Back to top Go down

engine output sprocket ?

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 am

Think the above is concerning the gearbox sprocket, I was referring to the engine output sprocket,( primary drive) not the gearbox sprocket as I believe that was the original question ???
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  sethasaurus on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks JH. I did suspect it was threaded on. I assume its a normal thread (RH), so hopefully it won't be extra tight. Now I just have to get that flywheel tied down to stop the crank moving!

MoscowFlyer - thanks very much for the info. That is correct for the final drive from the gearbox. I have had it stripped down and there is indeed a grub screw on the output gear,
You don't perhaps have the rest of that manual scanned do you?

Normally these things don't beat me but a lack of info makes me hesitate. Its not funny when you put your best efforts in & get so frustrated.
You have to laugh though when an experienced man comes along with a slightly bigger hammer, gives it a whack and it all comes apart. Then you realise you're not stupid and were on the right track anyway.

Seth
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

engine output sprocket

Post  MoscowFlyer on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:43 am

Hi, sorry for the confusion on my part, I usually associate wear and teeth missing with the final drive sprocket. Seth I will PM you about the manual. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  sethasaurus on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks Mike. I got a copy of Francis Barnett by Pearson on DVD.

This is all simple enough but in case anyone searches for the same info:

I had not found any detailed diagrams or info on this bit (until I read a little tidbit in the Pearson book) and no amount of wrenching or swearing was helping before that.

The output shaft is tapered, so all I had to do was acquire a puller and I managed to pop the sprocket assembly off in about 20 seconds (so much easier when you use the right tool for the job).

The assembly consists of two sprockets (18T and 23T) that are threaded (left-hand) onto a hub that fits on the shaft.
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top