Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

Fitting seperate coil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fitting seperate coil

Post  woodenhead on Sat May 03, 2014 11:15 am

Hi
AsI have a very weak spark I decided to fit a remote coil so I started to remove the HT winding from the coil and got to the thicker wire no problems.
I assume that I should have continuity from the points wire attachment point to the end of the LT wire.
I don't have continuity so I can only assume there a break in the LT wire somewhere. I don't have another coil to try any other suggestions?
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Coil ignition

Post  FB vincent on Thu May 08, 2014 11:20 am

woodenhead wrote:Hi
AsI have a very weak spark I decided to fit a remote coil so I started to remove the HT winding from the coil and got to the thicker wire no problems.
I assume that I should have continuity from the points wire attachment point to the end of the LT wire.
I don't have continuity so I can only assume there a break in the LT wire somewhere. I don't have another coil to try any other suggestions?
Regards
Mike d.

Mike, Presumably you are not referring to your Cruiser 80, since this already has an external DC coil. If you have a Villiers engine in mind, replacement coils to fit within the flywheel are easy to fit and usually solve all problems! Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Re: Fitting seperate coil

Post  woodenhead on Sun May 11, 2014 8:30 am

Your right Sandy its for a Villiers 6E in a James Trials machine.
The Cruisers running fine on 12 Volts no problems at all with that.
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Post  woodenhead on Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Well I've fitted a new ignition coil and I still don't a visible spark so i'm now wondering what else I can do. The flywheel has been re-magnatised and new coil what other options have I . I had already bought a CDI unit thinking I only needed to unwind the coil so I'm really stuck and fed up.
Regards
Mike d
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

coil

Post  piston 197 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Mike , I have done this countless times ,on Villiers engines in both motorcycles and garden equipment ( allen scythe, mower etc.) Without problem and I am an electrical numpty !
1 strip coil to thicker primary windings
2 join additional wire to the wire running from coil to points
3 mount correct type of 6 volt AC coil to the frame ( it has to be AC) I get mine from NJB shocks ( Norman Blakemore) to the frame
4 join wire to single coil connection
5 put plug cap on coil
Have you got the correct type of coil , and what are you intending to do with a CDI unit ??? are you attempting to replace the points with a CDI unit, if so best of luck can't see it working.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

seperate coil

Post  keith.hodgenia on Fri May 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi Mike, I have done the job myself, John explained it to me as well. It should be straight forward, you must have the right coil as John says and a CDI unit is of no use to you as far as I can see. One thought did cross my mind, if you are rebuilding the bike the nice shiny paint or powder coat could be insulating everything! Good luck. Keith.

keith.hodgenia

Back to top Go down

Post  woodenhead on Sat May 31, 2014 8:33 am

I am really getting myself confused now it was a single wire energy transfer coil I bought to do as below. taken from the Villiers Single Improvement handbook.

As the high tension side of the system gives most problems, why not replace it with an external HT coil, wiring diagram schematic Fig 28 . To do this strip off the fine HT windings of the flywheel coil and find a Japanese single wire energy transfer coil (FS1E or C50) and mount it under the tank. If a wire is taken from the contact breaker/LT coil connection, out via the redundant HT pick up hole, encased in a 1/4" black plastic tube, and connected to the new HT coil, no one will be the wiser. Should the LT current prove to be insufficient then the original coil can be rewound to provide more power, or one of the lighting coils can be wired in parallel to provide the necessary extra urge. A commercial alternative from Competition Classics is called "Little Demon" and is mounted on the standard castings. As the flywheel is going to be some 30 years old, it might be a wise idea to have it re-magnetised, which will in turn restore the power output of the LT coil.

My problem is I do not have a usable coil as when I unwound mine it was all corroded and useless and although I bought a new coil I have been told you cannot unwind the secondary windings so I am stuck.
In the instructions it says you can backup to increase power using the lighting coil, could I use both lighting ?
Regards
Mike d
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

electrickery

Post  keith.hodgenia on Sat May 31, 2014 1:03 pm

It sounds like you are really going through the mill with this Mike.
If you have bought a new coil, presumably it is a "new" or rewound one and not one from the bottom of some ones bits box, are you now back to the standard set up or are you trying to use the external coil as well? I don't think that it would work.
If you are back to standard and you have no spark, Have you got the point assembly right with regard to any insulating washers and sleeves?
A weak spark can just be down to the capacitor.
Check the HT lead, cap and plug. Don't use a plug with a resister in it (R in the number) or a suppressed cap
I had no end of trouble with my lawnmower that turned out to be the cap.

If all else fail, check your insurance is up to date and set fire to it. only joking. Keith.

keith.hodgenia

Back to top Go down

Post  woodenhead on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 pm

In the absence of a decent LT coil I fitted up a battery coil setup today, I now have a brilliant spark which lights up the night sky so I will have to ride around the block tomorrow to see how long the battery lasts and then sort out charging the battery from the lighting coils.
At last I have a decent spark one kick starting and running really well once I get the charging sorted I'll be happy.
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Post  graeme on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Does anyone run their bike without lighting coils just to make life easier? Thanks.
What are the possible problems of doing this?
Cheers Graeme

graeme

Back to top Go down

Battery ignition.

Post  ariel49 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 pm

woodenhead wrote:In the absence of a decent LT coil I fitted up a battery coil setup today, I now have a brilliant spark which lights up the night sky so I will have to ride around the  block  tomorrow to see how long the battery lasts and then sort out charging the battery from the lighting coils.
At last I have a decent spark one kick starting and running really well once I get the charging  sorted I'll be happy.
Regards
Mike d.
FWIW, I used to run a 30.50 BSA Goldstar in AMA Class C flat track races with batterty ignition. Would run all night through practice, 4 heat races, helmet dash, semi-main, and main event with no problem. Main event was normally 25 miles. On 1 mile tracks we switched to a different battery for the main, as they were usually 100 miles or more in length. That was to be safe. No need to risk a $1000.00 purse in order to prove a battery could make it through the whole day.

ariel49

Back to top Go down

WBasic ignition

Post  kerabo on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 pm

graeme wrote:Does anyone run their bike without lighting coils just to make life easier? Thanks.
What are the possible problems of doing this?
Cheers Graeme

I ran my Green Lane 8E powered bike for a couple of months with just the ignition coil.
It ran fine but I have now decided I am better with lights so I can be seen by other road users do fitted the lighting coils back on.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  graeme on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks Ken
I suspected my dad was green laneing this bike , the last time it was ridden. Turns out , there was no lighting coils . God knows the last time it ran with lights.

More coils = more money

I know visibility is always a good thing. I read online a guy using clip on cycling LESs for his trails bike. Just takes them off for the competition

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top