Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm by MR SINBAD

» VILLIERS 1H
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am by piston 197

Break away cables on trailers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Break away cables on trailers

Post  woodenhead on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi
Just an interesting point I just been told I need a break away cable on my unbraked motorcycle trailer, I have one on the caravan which is braked but can't see the point on an unbraked trailer.
Any thoughts
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Break away

Post  andy-s on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi i was under the impresion a break away cable was only needed on a breaked trailer to pull on the break in the event of it coming detached from the towing vehicle . Having said that i did use to use a short 1 tonne strop as a back up when towing a small fishing boat on an unbreaked trailer just for my own peace of mind . I dont know if this is a requirement but i would rather make a mess of my own truck than someone elses . I also think its not that common for a tow hitch to fail , even after a puncture . (but im no expert!)
Regards Andy
andy-s

Back to top Go down

break away cable

Post  piston 197 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:00 am

I was followed into Strensham services by a police car when towing an empty 3 bike trailer 3 or 4 years ago and it was pointed out to me the necessity for a secondary attachment in case of ball hitch failure. I purchased a short cable with a snap link on the end from CMF trailers of Ross-on Wye, attached it to the trailer via a bolt through the eye on the end of the cable and drilled a hole on the ball hitch plate for the snap link. It makes sense when you think about it !.When I have bikes on the trailer I also put a chain and padlock through the trailer and towbar , but this although acting as a third attachment is more to prevent some lowlife nicking the trailer and contents
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Break away cables on trailers

Post  woodenhead on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 am

Simple answer is to fit one.
Fitted !
Regards
Mike d
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Trailers

Post  kerabo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 pm

This got me thinking so I had a search
Read this Lots of things have changed.

Ken

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

traier regs

Post  piston 197 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:56 am

Yes , knew all about it, the bike and mobility trailer maker CMF I quoted above has so far spent approx. 10K , he had to take each variant of trailer for approval , submit full drawings, issue serial numbers etc for every trailer , and to renew his iicence every year cost a further 3k, it is getting Barmy as he has been making bike trailers for 20 years without any problems including my 3 bike trailer I have had for 10 years without problem,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Trailers

Post  kerabo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:55 am

Yes I think we have all made traikers but wasn't aware you can no longer do that without having it tyoe tested. Its possibly a good idea as there are sone very poor trailers out there.
Krn
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  woodenhead on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Taken from the regulations it appears you have to have a solid  chain conection to be able to tow the trailer when the ball become uncoupled. On a braked trailer it only needs to be able to apply the brake on the caravan
]]Unbraked trailers must have a stout secondary coupling, such as a chain, which is connected securely to the towing vehicle when it is being towed.  The secondary coupling must be tight enough to prevent the trailer's tow hitch from hitting the ground if the vehicle becomes uncoupled."[/color]
[/color]I fitted a brake away cable as per the caravan I'll now go and get a chain.
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top