» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

a few questions about my francis barnett 87

View previous topic View next topic Go down

a few questions about my francis barnett 87

Post  alf barnett on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 pm

hi all i,m thinking of putting the barnett on the road this year...(there,s photo,s of it in the gallery)i have the v5c and is very tidy here goes...
1 do all falcons (amc engine) have a load exhaust note..eg sounds like an expansion chamber ????
2 every thing works lights etc and i,ve put a solid state rectifor on...but there,s a wire in a sleeve on it,s own (running along the side of the wiring loom)that seems to get hot when the bikes running.it cools down though when the lights are switched on..is that how it,s supposed to be (a sort of heat sink) this is the only real concern that stops me putting it on the road ...and it needs using i,ve had it a good while now ...thanks for any help in advance alf  Question
alf barnett

Back to top Go down

loud,?

Post  piston 197 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 pm

I would guess you have a pattern exhaust without the ring baffles and./or a pattern front pipe without the baffled section ? doues your silencer clamp on to the exhaust or is there a clamp around the pipe with the silencer butted against it with an insulated cup washer, The latter system is correct
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: a few questions about my francis barnett 87

Post  alf barnett on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm

the front pipe does have a long baffle that slips into the exhaust ..but mine as done away with the rubber and clamp and is welded as one unit...i was told this joint was never very strong so i welded it...it sounds like the video of an early barnett i,ve just watched on the forum..but that engine was a villiers and it seemed to have an open four stroke silencer on ???
alf barnett

Back to top Go down

loud exhaust

Post  chrisc on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Alf, I too have a Falcon 87 (not completed yet) and yes mine too has a loud exhaust note, reminiscent of an Ariel Arrow at full tilt  Very Happy my exhaust is original apart from the joint between the downpipe and the silencer, which I have used heat resistant silicone....seems to be working well so far. It's just a thought if your exhaust is welded, I'm wondering if the baffle inside is still complete, or has it been removed by a previous owner(does yours still have a chromed nut on the end of the exhaust).I'm no authority on electrics but it sounds like a resistance wire and as you say it is there to take "the heat" out of the electrics, maybe someone out there could explain it to us both ,and is it possible to replace it with anything more suitable.

Ride Safe ChrisC

chrisc

Back to top Go down

Resistance wire

Post  FB vincent on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 pm

alf barnett wrote:hi all i,m thinking of putting the barnett on the road this year...(there,s photo,s of it in the gallery)i have the v5c and is very tidy here goes...
1 do all falcons (amc engine) have a load exhaust note..eg sounds like an expansion chamber ????
2 every thing works lights etc and i,ve put a solid state rectifor on...but there,s a wire in a sleeve on it,s own (running along the side of the wiring loom)that seems to get hot when the bikes running.it cools down though when the lights are switched on..is that how it,s supposed to be (a sort of heat sink) this is the only real concern that stops me putting it on the road ...and it needs using i,ve had it a good while now ...thanks for any help in advance alf  Question

There is resistance wire on the loom that is in circuit when the ignition is on and the headlamp is off, this is intended to stop the bulbs blowing. With the headlamp on all the alternator coils are in circuit, but the headlamp bulb absorbs the output so the resistance wire is not required. It is possible that the increased DC output from a modern rectifier is affecting your system, but my dear old Falcon still has the original selenium rectifier!

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  alf barnett on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:56 pm

chrisc wrote:Hi Alf, I too have a Falcon 87 (not completed yet) and yes mine too has a loud exhaust note, reminiscent of an Ariel Arrow at full tilt  Very Happy my exhaust is original apart from the joint between the downpipe and the silencer, which I have used heat resistant silicone....seems to be working well so far. It's just a thought if your exhaust is welded, I'm wondering if the baffle inside is still complete, or has it been  removed by a previous owner(does yours still have a chromed nut on the end of the exhaust).I'm no authority on electrics but it sounds like a resistance wire and as you say it is there to take "the heat" out of the electrics, maybe someone out there could  explain it to us both ,and is it possible to replace it with anything more suitable.

Ride Safe ChrisC
hi chris the baffle part seems more or less intact as i welded it together..it,s probaly because i,m used to bantams...so with what your saying my exhaust sounds ok...thanks for the reply...alf
alf barnett

Back to top Go down

Post  alf barnett on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm

There is resistance wire on the loom that is in circuit when the ignition is on and the headlamp is off, this is intended to stop the bulbs blowing. With the headlamp on all the alternator coils are in circuit, but the headlamp bulb absorbs the output so the resistance wire is not required. It is possible that the increased DC output from a modern rectifier is affecting your system, but my dear old Falcon still has the original selenium rectifier![/quote]
ummmm i removed the rectifier that came with the bike because i thought it was this that was at fault(like i,ve done with my bantams)but even with the new one wire still get hot until lights are switched on....cheers for reply...
perhaps next time someone with a falcon 87 starts up his or her bike maybe they could feel the wire and see if there,s gets hot until lights are switched on..i,d like to use the bike this year and my insurance is due for renewal in early june....
alf barnett

Back to top Go down

Resistance Wire

Post  tbird on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 am

I would not worry about the heated wire, in today's traffic it is advisable to drive with your headlight on even in the day time. (to be seen not to see)
My 84 is a bit noisy too but it is fun.

Graham (tbird) Laughing 
tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  alf barnett on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:14 pm

[quote="tbird"]I would not worry about the heated wire, in today's traffic it is advisable to drive with your headlight on even in the day time. (to be seen not to see)
My 84 is a bit noisy too but it is fun.

Graham (tbird) Laughing   [/
quote]
ha ha good advice with the lights ...yes i, think i,ll put it on road this year...
lets see it the mot man thinks it,s noisy  Laughing Laughing 
alf barnett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top