Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

Kick Start Slipping.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kick Start Slipping.

Post  MrTweedy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Hello all.

Looking for some advice. The kick start on my Merlin is slipping when I try and kick it over.
Before I attempt to look at it, can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix or something a bit more complicated?

Best regards and many thanks I've received on this forum already.

Matt

MrTweedy

Location : East Lothian, Scotland. 1949 Francis Barnett Merlin. 1953 Ambassador Supreme. 1969 BSA Starfire (in bits).

Back to top Go down

Re: Kick Start Slipping.

Post  banjo boy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi could you expand a bit more with some more info,not sure what you mean ? is the kick start dropping back under it's on weight( Flopping about )

banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  MrTweedy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello. I mean when I'm trying to kick start the engine, the kickstart lever will slip under the weight of my kick. As if something is a worn out, like a spline or cog or something. Occasionally it will catch and the bike will turn over, but more often than not, the lever will swing down with no resistance and I'll smack the sole of my foot on the ground, and probably swear!

Hope this helps.

Matt

MrTweedy

Location : East Lothian, Scotland. 1949 Francis Barnett Merlin. 1953 Ambassador Supreme. 1969 BSA Starfire (in bits).

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi there It could be a few things perhapes
1 A broken  kick start return  spring
2 a broken ratchet spring or the clutch side, where the springs are weak and not putting full pressure on the plates so giving the affect as when you pull the clutch in to disengage the plates.my only suggestion before going in deeper is check clutch adjustment,you could check to see if the kick start lever is tight on the shaft and that is not spinning on the shaft when you apply pressure.I am no expert but just a few ideas I can only think of.I will try and have more thoughts on this.hope you find a solution.but I would lay me odds on the return spring.
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

slipping kick start

Post  piston 197 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:21 pm

It sounds as if it is not engaging every time, as it will kick over some times and totally miss other times,
If it is clutch slip removing the spark plug so there is no compression and then kicking over will tell you, if it is clutch slip under compression, it will kick over every time o.k with no plug in.
If it kicks over o.k every time with the plug out, then clutch adjustment, repair or replacement is required.
If it still misses some times with the plug out, then the clutch pawl is sticking or broken inside the gearbox on the business end of the kickstart shaft , there is a spring loaded pawl that actuates against a circular ratchet machined inside a gear, if the spring/pawl is not engaging then this will cause the k/start to miss.
gearbox apart for this one , a simple job if you know what you are doing, would take me about 20 minutes to strip and replace, might take you a bit longer first time around.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  MrTweedy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at it again and try it with the spark plug out, though I get the feeling it's something to do with the k/start shaft not engaging.

Regards

Matt

MrTweedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top