Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm by bill2b

New here :-) help needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here :-) help needed

Post  Darren_504 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi there I'm new here thought I'd say hello

Was just seeing if some one could help identify my bike please

So this is the story

Iv been given a f-b by a friend of mine (not yet collected) just need a little help to see what it is I will try and explain best I can it's got a black frame with a green tank a single seat a 197 cc with a low slung exhaust silver mudguards no plate no lights that's bout all I can remember about it at the min I will be doing a full resto on it so if your interested I will post pics etc

Darren_504

Back to top Go down

identity

Post  piston 197 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Afraid it does not help a lot, if it was the one on ebay in the south west then it was originally a road bike frame either falcon 70 or 74, the engine was an 8E/3 Villiers and the forks and front wheel were BSA.
If you can post a frame and engine No identity will be a simpler affair, no FB,s were made with a black frame and green tank and a 197cc engine, black frame , black tank was on the falcon 70, and all models( swing arm) before, green frame and tank on the falcon 74 and 81 were the 197cc options with swing arm frame and all black ( or blue) on rigid models.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: New here :-) help needed

Post  Darren_504 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply no wasn't on ebay I shall wait until I pick it up and then try and identify it is there a chance that if it had no number plates that I can get them back etc I would like to restore this bike and ride it as it's been given to me by some one I respect don't want to sell it on iv always loved old british bikes and this ones right up my street seems a shame that it hasn't moved for many years

Darren_504

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren_504 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Sorry to add to that is there away of finding out colours and what it's supposed to be like if you understand what I'm asking

Darren_504

Back to top Go down

colours

Post  piston 197 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Yes the original colour can be ascertained from the frame No, if it was anything other than the standard colour the frame No has a letter to denote this,  if no letter after the frame No then it was the standard colour ( black or green ) according to which model,  again ascertained from the frame No.
You can only retain the original reg No if you know what it was and have supporting documents prior to 1984 ( old log book, MOT , tax disc, county archive record etc) I am the DVLA approved dating officer aand can again assist once some more info is obtained
JH

Last edited by piston 197 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren_504 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Thank you for your help I appreciate it looking forward to picking it up and finding out what it is and what it's supposed to look like is it easy to get hold of parts etc for theses bikes ? I know i will need a full gasket kit as planing on striping everything down and cleaning it all up

Darren_504

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top