» Villers 14A seagul engine HELP
Yesterday at 8:14 am by JonTheBuilder

» pivot tube
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm by ernie

Brake cable for a Model 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brake cable for a Model 3

Post  Neil Lewis on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I have just taken over the custodianship of my FB the baton being handover from my father who took over from his uncle who bought the bike from a shop in 1930! Sadly the front brake cable is no-long with us, I have the rod that goes down the hub, but not the cable or the outer. Any thoughts on who could supply cable and outer other than Carrot Cycles in Lincoln which just a name to me in VMCC small adds.
Neil Lewis

Back to top Go down

cables

Post  piston 197 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 pm

In the days that the model 3 was conceived , all cables were made up by dealers from component parts supplied by firms like Bowden wire Co, boxed specific cables not coming to the market until firms like feridax, flexercable, romac etc started to produce them post 2nd world war, various suppliers will nowadays supply a universal cable kit, which contains outer cable,ferules, inner wire and nipples to make your own,
I suggest you go down this route.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Brake Cable for a Model 3

Post  MoscowFlyer on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi, this is an interesting one, as the Model 3 never had a front brake, so the cable will be a specially made up one anyway. The Model 3 only had a rear brake, operated by the right foot and the right hand. If there was a front brake added, from where was it operated? If the right hand lever was used, it would have made the rear brake less affective, but overall the braking must be better. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

May it is not a model 3!

Post  Neil Lewis on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 am

Hi both, I say model 3 becouse that was the suggestion made when I joined the FBOC. The bike is a saddle tank model first reg in 1930, it has a 2 speed Albion gear box and 147cc 2-stroke Villers engine. It has a rear brake, but the front wheel is fitted with a brake and the drum braces back via a pressed part on the front forks. The cabel I am short of goes from the right hand lever to block on the right hand side of the forks from where the rod starts that goes down to the hub.
Neil Lewis

Back to top Go down

model 3

Post  piston 197 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 am

The 1930 147cc model ( Villiers engine pre-fix W) was a model 4B and as standard was a 2 speed ( 3 speed optional extra) and had both front and back internal expanding hub brakes, the model 3 finished in 1929 and as mike said above had no front brake, the handlebar lever being a secondary control for the rear brake to satisfy the law in that 2 braking methods be supplied.
I suggest you have a model 4B and you will still have to make up your cable from components
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Brake cable for a Model 3

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top