» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

Fitting front brake on wrong side

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fitting front brake on wrong side

Post  falcone on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Having read a previous post, it has occurred to me that I may be able to fit the front brake of my Falcon 58 on the wrong (ie left) side. I would like to do this as due to disability I need to have the brake lever on the left, and it would mean that I could use the existing brake cable (thus saving me the trouble of making a new lengthened one. Does anyone know a reason why I couldn't or shouldn't do this?
Thanks
Marcus

falcone

Back to top Go down

Re: Fitting front brake on wrong side

Post  Blair on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 am

Marcus,

could you not leave the brake where it is, and simply route a (longer) cable from the front brake actuating lever to the left handlebar lever? You might need to add a few inches to the cable, but someone who supplies cables could easily make one up for you to a custom length.

My Falcon 70 has the front brake on the LHS as standard, so if you really wanted to reverse your front brake setup and stick it on the LHS, then that would be no different from what the factory sometimes did.

Are you moving the clutch operation over to the right hand handlebar lever?  I think it was Indian motorcycles supplied to the US traffic police in the 40's and 50's which had the throttle twist grip on the left hand side.  The idea was that the officer could draw his gun with his right hand and fire it, while continuing to pursue the wrongdoer.

Cheers,

Blair
Blair

Location : Glasgow, West End. 1954 Falcon 70 (3speed), 2012 Enfield Electra EFI

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Dog on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:40 am

Marcus,
I don't know about your particular model, but a lot of drum brake set ups use shoes that are not interchangable. The leading shoe has the friction material in a different orientation to the trailing shoe, so as to grip a specific area of the drum.
By swapping to the LHS the brakes may not be as effective and could cause binding or even lock up.
I would be checking how the brakes actually work before contemplating the switch.
The cost of a longer cables is nothing compared to possible safety issues.

Graham
DARWIN NT
AUSTRALIA

Top Dog

Back to top Go down

brake drum orientation

Post  piston 197 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:23 am

On the post 1954 bikes with the full width hub the brake plate can be on either side and will work equally well, obviously the mudguard mounting clamps will have to be swapped over as one carries the cable adjuster.
The cable will need to be the correct length, having the brake plate on the opposite side to the lever gives a smoother run to the cable so would suggest if you wish to re-position the clutch lever to the l/hand side you leave the brake plate on the right
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Brake set up

Post  kerabo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

One thing to think about when changing the side of the brake is if you have any play in the anchor and most do, the baseplate can turn as you apply the brake it will self apply. I have seen 2 bikes like this and both riders complained of a grabbing brake.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Fitting the brake on the wrong side

Post  falcone on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Many thanks for all your replies - it is interesting to hear different slants on the same thing. I think in the end I will probably just make a longer cable and hopefully this will give slighly better braking due to a smaller bend radius.
The anchor on mine fits around the fork tube, so would fit equally well on both sides, although it does have some play. I guess the brake may grab, but this would happen whichever side it was fitted.
I was interested to learn that the orientation of friction material can be different on the two different shoes. I wouldn't have thought that this was the case on my bike because the two shoes look identical so could be fitted on either side. I was thinking that by swapping to the other side one might equalise the wear, as what was the leading shoe (which presumably wears more quickly) would become the trailing shoe.
I have both brake and clutch on the left hand side - I have designed a double lever for this purpose. So far I have only tested it on my Velo LE, but I will try it on the FBshortly.
Cheers
Marcus

falcone

Back to top Go down

Brake grab

Post  kerabo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:36 pm

falcone wrote:Many thanks for all your replies - it is interesting to hear different slants on the same thing. I think in the end I will probably just make a longer cable and hopefully this will give slighly better braking due to a smaller bend radius.
The anchor on mine fits around the fork tube, so would fit equally well on both sides, although it does have some play. I guess the brake may grab, but this would happen whichever side it was fitted.
I was interested to learn that the orientation of friction material can be different on the two different shoes. I wouldn't have thought that this was the case on my bike because the two shoes look identical so could be fitted on either side. I was thinking that by swapping to the other side one might equalise the wear, as what was the leading shoe (which presumably wears more quickly) would become the trailing shoe.
I have both brake and clutch on the left hand side - I have designed a double lever for this purpose. So far I have only tested it on my Velo LE, but I will try it on the FBshortly.
Cheers
Marcus
No it wont happen both sides as the rotation on one sise will have the affect of backing the brake off when applied if there was any play. Its not a major thing and when new I would not matter. I drilled and tapped mine 5mm and put a grub screw in to remove any play on the back side of the gap in the backplate. The leading shoe is the shoe on the cam end that will touch first, the the rotation would attempt to self servo ( pull it on more) So one shoe forwards and the other if it was going backwards. If the linings were different you could turn them on the back plate.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Brake myths

Post  piston 197 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:10 pm

The brake set up Ken describes is for the post 1954 type forks, the one you describe is with the clamp in a "u" shape around the leg, ( which you cannot put a grub screw in as Ken suggests) It will not make a difference as described. Also with a single leading shoe, both shoes are the same and any difference in fitting them the other way round will be marginal unless really badly worn and coming from 2 different sets of brakes, as you will only have one leading edge on one shoe, which ever one it is, and one trailing edge and both shoes should be worn the same amount if taken from the same brake plate , as the trailing edge on one shoe should be equally worn as the leading edge of the other, and when swapped the trailing edge becomes the leading edge.
some times it is best not to overthink it !
piston 197

Back to top Go down

brake on wrong side

Post  jontyknott on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 pm

On my cruiser 80 i didn't like the cable set up with the stop on the fork leg giving possible grabbing, so i made and fitted a stop onto the backplate itself, using 2 small 90 deg angles back to back, with a hole, and a slot at an angle to fit the cable thru. I used a clutch cable cut to length, with soldered nipple for security.

jontyknott

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top