» AMC 250CC CARB
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm by MR SINBAD

» VILLIERS 1H
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am by piston 197

Villiers 8E kickstart, carb and speedo cable

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Villiers 8E kickstart, carb and speedo cable

Post  Harty210 on Mon May 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement kickstart for my 8e, or have one lying around they will be willing to sell? The spline on mine is totally worn and the only replacement I have found so far is from villiers services and is chromed (was this the original finish?).

Also does anyone know where I might be able to get a reconditioned carb as mine is leaking fuel like a sieve and the needle is bent, and the easiest thing to do would probably be to exchange it for a recon one? Also can anyone give any insight into why my needle would have 2 1/2 marked on it when the instruction manual states 3 1/2%?

How do I tell if I have an s24 or an s25? I have tried to tell from pictures but they look very similar to me. The only distinguishing marking I can make out is the bottom of the bowl has "mk III" on it.

And a final one I bought a speedo cable from Villiers services for my falcon 74, but upon inspection the inner cable only protrudes from the end with the knurled threaded collar (I assume this is the clock end) and there is no protrusion from the other end with the collar with the flats on. There is a brass crimp around the inner cable on the knurled collar end which prevents it from sliding further down the outer, I hope I have explained this ok, can anyone shed some light on if this is correct for the falcon 74, I would have expected the inner to protrude out of both ends to engage with the clock and drive unit, if this is correct then am I missing a component as I don't see how it will engage in the drive unit?
Harty210

Back to top Go down

parts

Post  piston 197 on Mon May 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Kick starts were initially chromed,but later on were dull finished,
Try Nametab engineering 01527 522266 he can re-condition your carburettor and will have all the parts in-house
Yes your spedo cable inner should protrude from each end of the outer,send it back to VS,it should have a square end on both ends,sounds like they have sent you the earlier type that has a loose flat spade piece in the end ,used on the earlier rigids with speedo drive screwed into the brake plate.
John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Villiers 8E kickstart, carb and speedo cable

Post  Jack Clegg on Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 pm

S24 has a solid brass slide, S25 has hollow slide with a slot cut in it.
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

s24/s25

Post  piston 197 on Mon May 27, 2013 8:04 pm

The S24 was available for the early 8E engines with the alloy slide same slide as the S25,but the fit onto the carb manifold is smaller,the clue is in the number one has a thru diameter of 24mm and one is 25mm,the difficulty being neither the S24 or early S25 had a number stamped on it,and both had Mk 111 on the float bowl,later S25's had S25/2.S25/3 etc cast on the body,but only way to tell earlier models is to measure the venturi diameter.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Harty210 on Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 pm

piston 197 wrote:Kick starts were initially chromed,but later on were dull finished,
Try Nametab engineering 01527 522266 he can re-condition your carburettor and will have all the parts in-house
Yes your spedo cable inner should protrude from each end of the outer,send it back to VS,it should have a square end on both ends,sounds like they have sent you the earlier type that has a loose flat spade piece in the end ,used on the earlier rigids with speedo drive screwed into the brake plate.
John H

Thanks John, I have tried to upload some images but not sure if I have done it right. The cable has a square on both ends but only protrudes on the 'knurled end', in the close up image (if it has worked) there is a brass bit on the cable which is stopping it going further through the outer, I shall give VS a call and see what they say, it definitely seems wrong.
Harty210

Back to top Go down

speedo cable

Post  piston 197 on Mon May 27, 2013 9:05 pm

The brass collar should be there to prevent the cable protruding too far into the speedo head,but the other square end should protrude out by approx the same amount from the other end,this looks like the cable used on the rigid bikes where the speedo drive is cog driven and screws into the brake plate,then the square does not protrude and there is a loose (square to flat )adaptor to fit it it to the drive,which goes up inside the outer to engage with the square end of the inner.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top