Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

Falcon 74 Noisy Exhaust

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falcon 74 Noisy Exhaust

Post  Osmerus on Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Hello all members of FBOC
I have had my 1956 Francis Barnett Falcon 74 back on the road for a whole year now. I have spent a lot on getting the engine and gearbox overhauled by Villers Services and I am very happy with that aspect of the work but I am disatisfied with the replica Falcon exhaust and silencer I bought from them early in the project. The metal is good quality and the chrome is excellent and it was straighforward to assemble but the noise from this exhaust has to be heard to be believed. Have I missed out some essential baffles or is this a characteristic of this exhaust system My wife claims that she can hear me coming home when I am a quarter of a mile away when I am riding the Falcon. I live in a pleasant rural area on the Somerset - Witshire border and I don't want to be accused of frightening the horses or putting the hens of laying!
Has anybody solved this issue on one of these exhaust systems?

Looking forward to some answers.

Osmerus
Osmerus

http://www.simonbowditchillustrations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 74 Noisy Exhaust

Post  Jack Clegg on Sat May 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Perhaps the baffle on the downpipe-end is not lined up correctly inside the silencer? That would bypass all that percolating business & make some racket.
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

silencer

Post  piston 197 on Sun May 26, 2013 5:51 am

Noisy exhausts ! i have heard that although the villiers services exhausts are excellently made cosmetically ,they do not replicate the baffling system accurately.
The original FB system was quiet,the front pipe had a perforated baffle attatched to it ,with the perforations in precise positions,there was a clamp around the pipe with a cup and sealing washer,the silencer butted against this forming a seal,then the silencer itself had ring baffles inside accurately poitioned to correspond with the perforations in the baffle. A phone call to the exhaust speciallist in the club (Des Heckle) on 01404 47994 will explain and point you in the correct direction to obtain the proper article.
John H.
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Silencer

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 am

When on our FBOC Russian Trip, the lead Francis Barnett had this same problem. It was giving us following headaches, so we stopped at a store and bought some pan scourers. After shoving a few inside the silencer, it improved the situation no end. Mike

P.S. Not BRILLO pads, it's the copper type, like the ones below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-packs-of-3-copper-scourers-9-scourers-total-pan-cleaner-/380646932502?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item58a0534016
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

exhaust

Post  andy-s on Sun May 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi You dont know me but it just happens that i live on the same road . I too own a falcon 74 (cant be to many streets in the country with two falcon 74s). My falcon is still in bits but i have had it up and running and the only part ive puchased so far is a new exhaust from Des Heckle , its complete and was on the advice of JH. If you would to try this on your falcon to see the difference you are more than welcome .
Andy ( No 25)
andy-s

Back to top Go down

Falcon 74 Noisy Exhaust

Post  Osmerus on Mon May 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Can I thank all those members who have got back to me to share their expereinces and their advice on this subject. Like many FBOC members I have already spent more on the restoration of this motorcycle than I would willingly admit to and so I am naturally reticent to have to buy a new silencer when the one that I have looks fine and is made from good material. The idea of the copper pan scourers really appeals to me as this appears to be a cheap and practical solution to the immediate problem and I will be trying that first.
As for Andy who lives at No.25 in the same road as me I believe that I have seen a modern motorcycle on your driveway but never knew that you had a Falcon awaiting restoration. Please come up the road and knock on the door of No.20 and make yourself known, I am sure that we have some knowledge and resources to share.
I am very grateful to you all and hope that I won't be a noisy neighbour for too much longer.

Osmerus
Osmerus

http://www.simonbowditchillustrations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Clegg on Mon May 27, 2013 8:01 pm

A big lump of wire wool might do too.
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

wire wool etc

Post  piston 197 on Mon May 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Problems with wire wool and pan scourers is blocking up with oil deposits,also bits breaking off and coming out of the end of the pipe,also with the slotted type silencers difficult to know how you will get this bodge in/out.
Years ago pre exhaust technology, Bill Lomas used to tune the exhaust on his trials bikes according to the power needed for a particular section,he had a slotted exhaust with a sliding tube that he could expose more or less of the slot,that could be locked in place required with a hand turned wingnut,this also had a quietening effect when the slot was smaller .Might be wort experimenting with a piece of rubber tube slid over the slot to reduce its size,and finding out what effect it has on power and noise according to it's position ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top