» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

Clutch release problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clutch release problem

Post  RJF70 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi All, My name is Rich and live in Coventry, I have been asked by a friend to look at his Francis Barnett bike as the clutch lever wont dis engage unless you leave 2 fingers behind it and push it out! On removal of casing all looks ok and resistance on clutch spring is good although whether it is strong enough to pull clutch lever back or not I wouldn't know. I have lubed cable as that is rough but made no difference so is it a common problem and how deep do you have to dig to cure it as have worked a lot on 2 stroke bikes top ends etc but gearboxes do scare me a little! Also it has had a new Amal carb but wont idle or rev through so guessing it needs setting up, so what are the settings on mixture etc? Any help would be much appreciated as I am hooked now on these bikes and would like to eventually purchase one for myself and fix this one. Also engine number is M25T18227 and frame YC10013 if anybody can shed some light on specifications etc?
Cheers Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch release problem

Post  Jack Clegg on Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 pm

YC is 1957 model Cruiser 80, 25T the 250cc AMC grenade (I'm not a fan).

Not familiar with AMC clutch, but it's usually only the clutch springs which force the whole actuating train back, from pushrod to arm to cable to lever. Maybe the long push rod is bent or some other piece binding somewhere?

Carb was an Amal Monobloc 389, but does the new one have the same jets & slide as the old?

When you get one, get one with a Villiers engine, 8E 197cc Falcon models from 1951-56 are the nicest.
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  kerabo on Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm

If you have to push the lever back with 2 fingers then no matter whats happeing in the clutch you have a cable problem Try starting with a new good nylon lined cable JJ Cables Look him up. The clutch on the AMC is quite normal but there are a few adjustments. if you PM me your email address I will try to send a little info

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  RJF70 on Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks Ken, any info regarding adjustments will be great. The clutch cable I have has 2 sets of adjusters on it but they are not great! I cannot PM at minute as have not been member for 7 days! Email address is maz.franklinatbtinternet.com
Thanks Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

Carburettor Problem

Post  ChrisTurner on Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 pm

You say you are having trouble with the carburettor settings after fitting a new carb. Is it a Concentric or a Monobloc? If it is a Concentric, are you sure that you have fitted a two stroke one and not a four stroke one? They are not interchangable and the symptoms you describe are just what I would expect if a four stroke one had been fitted in error. Chris
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  RJF70 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi Chris, carb fitted is a new monobloc. Can't get round to setting it up properly or trying to set it up properly until I get this clutch problem sorted so I can fill gearbox up and seal the casings, but if you can give me any guidance on what jets were original and mixture settings etc that would be great! Cheers Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

According to Amal.....

Post  ChrisTurner on Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 am

Francis Barnett 250cc 1957; 2 stroke Cruiser 80

Type: 389/017

Bore: 1 1/8"

Pilot: 30

Cutaway: 3

Main Jet: 420 (That sounds very large to me but wouldn't really affect the starting)

Needle Jet: 0.11

Needle Position: 2

I assume this is correct as the carburettor type tallys with the FB Cruiser 80 parts book I have.

Hope that helps.

Chris
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

carb data

Post  piston 197 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 am

All data you give tallies with the information in the Amal spec sheets apart from the needle jet which should be .105 ??,never seen a .11 ??
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  RJF70 on Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Got my new cable from JJ Cables, but cannot remove old cable from clutch arm!! Been trying for 3 hours so have walked away for a break!! Any ideas welcome, the pivot inside arm is moving but cable must be jammed in!!
Cheers Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

Clutch cable

Post  kerabo on Mon May 20, 2013 5:18 pm

You mean the arm inside the gearbox?
Make sure it had free play or you will find it hard to do. If its your old cable just cut it a few inches away from the gearbox No too short as you dont want to old nipple to fall inside. Once you have free play it should be easy.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  RJF70 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Cheers Ken all done and back together! Just got the Carb to do now I can run it. Will have a go tomorrow and see if I can get the carb set up as info provided. Clutch is really nice now on lever, but wont know if there is any drag etc until I get it running.
Cheers Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

Post  RJF70 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Well guys, started the bike today after cleaning out a filthy carb, and she sounds sweet! Goes through the gears like a dream, and clutch seems to be working good too! Very Happy , Bogs down a bit in 4th but it has only got a 320 main jet in it so maybe that's the cause of that? Anyway thanks for all the help I have been given, really don't want to have to give this bike back!
Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

Post  RJF70 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi, been a while since posting on here, but here goes. Cannot start the bike as its over fuelling! Had carb apart on a number of occasions but with no joy in finding the problem. Only thing I can think of is the fuel regulating valve, all bikes I have worked on before have a sprung valve but the one in this carb is solid, just wondering as valve cant be cutting fuel off, and is there a way of adjusting the float height on these carbs?
Thanks Rich..

RJF70

Back to top Go down

carb problem

Post  kerabo on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 pm

The level on the Monoblock is a dot in the middle of the word amal on the float chamber cover. I drilled a 1mm hole through it on a spare cover and it needs to just start to run from this. The adjustment is by altering the thickness of the washer under the float needle seat. Although with a new seat needle and washer your going to be very close. You should check that and all your jet numbers and needle setting . Don't know of a spring loaded needle in these .I haven't checked but a 320 jet sounds big to me.
Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top