» Contact breaker screw
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm by kerabo

» Pub meet FFOC welcome
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm by kerabo

Clutch Cork availability

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clutch Cork availability

Post  EXJ17 on Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 am

There is a lot of good advice about clutch cork fitting but does anyone know of a supplier of cork suitable for clutch corks bigger than a wine cork?
On my 1938 Cruiser 45 the chain wheel plate corks are 3/8 thick and need to be over an inch in both directions.
EXJ17

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch Cork availability

Post  Blair on Fri May 03, 2013 9:49 am

I bought some for my villiers 8E's friction plates from Villiers Services some years ago. I was advised to soak them in boiling water before attempting to fit them. The process was straightforward.

Cheers,

Blair
Blair

Location : Glasgow, West End. 1954 Falcon 70 (3speed), 2012 Enfield Electra EFI

Back to top Go down

Post  EXJ17 on Tue May 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks Blair,
Villiers services do not have prewar corks (which are bigger than post war). They will reline with bonded-on modern material which passes over the cork holes in the plates. This may work but I don't like the idea.
Anyway I eventually found that www.charlescantrill.com can supply natural cork. He was very helpful.
I bought sheet natural cork at 13mm nominal thickness, cut out the corks 2mm oversize, simmered them and inserted them with no trouble. At present they are drying out before sanding them level.
I last did this job about 40 years ago. It seemed easier this time!
By the way I have some spare, more than enough to do it again!
Keith
EXJ17

Back to top Go down

Post  sethasaurus on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Keith,

I find that after removing and cleaning the clutch on my Cruiser (same model as yours), the clutch is now slipping a bit.
I'm about to replace the corks and try again. I have several champagne corks that seem dense enough and will just fill the holes (once they expanded by sitting in boiling water for a few mins).

How did your clutch corks work out?

Seth
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

Clutch Cork availability

Post  EXJ17 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:14 am

Seth,
My clutch now works better than it ever did and never slips!
www.charlescantrill.com can supply natural cork. I bought sheet natural cork at 13mm nominal thickness, cut out the corks 2mm oversize, simmered them in a pan of water until they were supple and inserted them from alternate sides of the plates. I left them dry out. I stuck sandpaper, coarse then fine, to a sheet of plate glass and carefully sanded the inserts in the plates down so they were even thickness. I then reassembled the clutch. It is important to have an adequate thickness so that the friction (cork) plates completely fill the gap between the plain plates.
Champagne corks MUST be natural cork because the heat will melt the glue in composite corks. Are you sure that they are big enough to produce 2mm oversize inserts in the larger holes? My Champagne corks were not, which is why I sourced 13mm cork sheet from Cantrill.
One plate has 25 number openings 20mm long tapered from 13mm to 10mm.
The other plate has two different szes. There is a set of 10 number openings 25mm long and taper from 27mm to 17mm. The other is a set of 5 openings 21mm long tapering from 23 mm to 17mm.
With careful cutting you should be able to make a set from what I have (97 x approx. 175mm). Remember to add the 1 mm oversize all the way round. If you were short natural wine corks might do for the smaller ones. You'd need to soak them well first to restore their natural size.
I'd obviously need contact details but good luck.
Keith
EXJ17

Back to top Go down

clutch cork availability

Post  top brass on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 am

You could try Bob Metson (clutch cork service)01273-494437 he made a great job of my pal`s sunbeam. Tony.  Wink 
top brass

Back to top Go down

Post  sethasaurus on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Keith,

Thanks for your response. It's good to know someone has done the job and been successful.
Not sure I can tell the difference between natural and composite cork (?).

Anyway, I have just cut up a cork sanding block, which easily had enough material to make the 15 inserts I need (5 small and 10 large).
It was easy to get my hands on and only cost me 2 quid , so it'll be worth trying in the first instance.

Going to give them a soak now.

Seth
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  sethasaurus on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 pm

On second thoughts, and after reading about cork, it seems the stuff I have is 'agglomerate', which looks like it may well disintegrate once stressed.

I decided to try and get the proper stuff and avoid the inevitable 'redo'.

Keith, I just read your reply again - does this mean you have some you can send/sell me?
sethasaurus

Back to top Go down

CLUTCH CORK AVAILABILITY

Post  EXJ17 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Seth,
Yes I have. As I said earlier I need contact details please. An email address will enable me to ask for your postal address and to let you have some more instructions etc.
Keith
EXJ17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top