» plating on falcon 67
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 am by alan67

» 1954 Falcon 67
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

HOW MUCH..!

Go down

HOW MUCH..!

Post  chrisc on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Hello All, as you may be aware i'm rebuilding a Falcon 87 on a very limited buget, well i consider i have just been utterly ripped off ...is £28.70 a bit excessive for 2 fork oil seals? He did not mention ther was a £25 .00 handling charge when i ordered them .I'm new to and this website and i don't particularly want to make waves, but i got the name of the seller off this website .If it's not excessive then i'll say sorry now and revaluate as to whether it is worth carrying on a rebuild at these prices, but if it is excessive i'd like to warn others.
for legal reasons i don't know if i can name the seller here, perhaps someone here could enlighten me .Chris

chrisc

Back to top Go down

fork seals

Post  piston 197 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Chris, i would feel o.k for you to name the seller,even if just to let the other forum users that the seller operates a minimum order charge,presumably there is a minimum handling charge of £25 and then there was tax/postage on top ?,i would expect fork seals to be around £15 per pair and postage to be £2.70p plus packing charge of perhaps £1.50p plus VAT( if registered)That would be a total in the region of £19.20p plus VAT @20% ,making a total of approx £23.00p so if there was a minimum charge of £25 then perhaps not that far away,but not fair not to tell you in the first place,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

seals

Post  top brass on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Villiers dated 04-02-13 set of two seals£15-95 p&p £3-00 VAT£3-79 total£22-74 now thats a fair price.
Tony. Smile
top brass

Back to top Go down

How Much !

Post  chrisc on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 pm

I rang the seller, bantam john, this afternoon and asked for a reason for the high price and sure enough i could tell it was a well rehersed patter about not agreeing a price "Upfront"and how he became too busy to talk, i take people at face value,and i am prepared to pay a fair price but i still don't think this is a fair price, or a business i will deal with again.....as a matter of coincidence my friend has just bought fork seals for his VTR motorcycle for the exsorbitant price of £6 60 who said Honda parts are expensive... RideSafe. .ChrisC

chrisc

Back to top Go down

Re: HOW MUCH..!

Post  Kim on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Kim

Back to top Go down

Fork Seals

Post  FB vincent on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 am

Also AMC Classic Spares at a sensible price. Always remember that the lightgweight AJS/Matchless/Norton ranges had parts in common with later FB Falcon's and Cruisers.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

How Much !

Post  chrisc on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks for the replies fellas, I think i'm wishing it was a bit more like years ago when you could go into your local motorcycle shop, pick up your parts,quick chat,etc but you came away feeling that if anything wasn't right you could return and discuss the problem with the shopkeeper, but this online John fella, came across with, i've got your money who cares attitude...next...OK it's a few pounds over the odds it's not going to send the country into an even deeper recession, I can live with that,but it's the way he made those few extra quid that bothers me, obviously i still will need more parts soon, and i won't be buying them from him. but i doubt that will bother him either,

Jeeze i hope these seals fit ..Ride Safe Chris

chrisc

Back to top Go down

Post  fulmar88 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Chris, I'm afraid Bantam John has a reputation and a lot of people won't deal with him. Unfortunately, in some cases, he is the only one with the parts you need. Often referred to on here as 'the guy in Sheffield' to avoid naming him directly. Try googling him, you'll find a lot of comments from forums.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

How much!

Post  chrisc on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Thank you for that info Steve it's worth knowing, I went for a short run on my honda today up to a bikers meet at Rivington barn today,got chatting to a AJS owner,he tells me this guy will be at the Staffordshire show,and guess what i'm now definatly going too!.......like i said earlier on it's not about the money it's the way he thinks he can talk to people, see if he's any different face to face, think..... i'll have to dig out my old gum shield Very Happy
Regards Chris

chrisc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum