» AMC 250CC CARB
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm by MR SINBAD

» VILLIERS 1H
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am by piston 197

Speedo cable

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speedo cable

Post  Bill on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:50 am

Hi I have purchase a new speedo cable for my Kestrel and find the standout of the square section of inner cble is approx 1/4" greater than the old one and seems to be too long when trying to fit it.
My question is has anybody successfully shortened the inner cable the only way I can see would be to grind it but am worried about the wires fraying.

Regards Bill
Bill

Back to top Go down

Cable

Post  kerabo on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:14 pm

I would first try to fit it and look to see with all the square pushed in both ends that you would have to force the outer cable prove its long. Also check to see if there is any broken parts in either end stopping it going in all the way.

If you do have to cut it dont mess with cutters or pliers it will only fray. Just put it on a heavy solid metal surface and get a sharpe chisel and give it one realy hard blow making sure the chisel is straightit will then chop clean.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

speedo cable free length

Post  piston 197 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:31 pm

You probably have the wrong cable the cable for the chronometric speedo and the magnetic type have different lengths of square end protruding,if you fit the wrong one it can damage the speedometer,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Speedo cable

Post  bessybarnett on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 am

Yes I have a similiar dilemma. I bought an Ebay cable 6 months ago and had to cut it to fit. My Kestrel is not on the road yet so no damage has been done. I was recently alerted by a Gagg and Sons advert in the OBM, saying watch out for non suitable cables as damage to the speedo can occur. I am now going to purchase one from Gaggs in Nottingham, who have done speedo repairs for a while now. I remember them years ago as one of the only Villiers and bike spares places close to Lincoln where I use to live, apart from Webbs on Portland Street of course - I remember they had just a trade counter in the front room of a terrace!! It was very popular source of bike spares and a great Saturday/Sunday morning meeting place in the sixties!! It is nice to see they still exist although now in a bigger bike dealer form.

Among other industrial things, Lincoln was known for the Elk Motorcycle (1902) and a short run of the Ruston Car in the early 1920s. There is a nice example in Lincoln green colour of the Elk Motorcycle in the National Motorcyle Museum.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know much about the Polish "Podkowa" 98 motorcycle? Has anyone ever seen one for sale? All I know is that it was manufactured around 1939, possibly from imported Enfield and BSA parts and powered by a Villiers 9D engine. It may have been made under licence, and was based on the English Baker motorcycle. There are photos and limited info. on the internet. A book I have is naturally in Polish and does not translate particularly well in various softwares!

Sorry about my waffling, its a sign of my old age!

I will go back to sleep now.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo cable

Post  Bill on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 am

Hi Pete I take it you were not happy with your efforts to shorten the inner cable standout.
Regards Bill
Bill

Back to top Go down

Cable

Post  bessybarnett on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:44 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

I cut it successfully with a chisel but it still seemed a bit tight to me, so I am not taking the risk of using it. Speedos can be expensive to repair.

Regards.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

New Smiths Speedo Cables

Post  Alistair on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 am

Hi,
All of Smiths old manufacturing plant & data was bought by a Canadian Co. that can be found on the web WWW.vintagebritishcables.com They made one for my Falcon 58 which fitted perfectly, looks original & was realistically priced. It came with complete instructions on fitting & care etc.
Cheers,
Alistair

Alistair

Back to top Go down

New Smiths Speedo Cables

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Alistair, that looks a useful site, a cable for my bike the Cruiser 75, will cost around 24 plus shipping. Any idea what the shipping cost to the UK is? Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:29 am

Hi all I bought my cable from Michael Cushion on e bay, I have been in contact with him regarding my problem and He has provided unbelievable customer service so I am happy to recomend him to everyone. His responses were very prompt with the result being it looks like they sent me the wrong one (possible wrongly labeled in his stock). New one is on the way. This is despite my buying it over 12 months ago.
Regards
Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Alistair on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:10 am

RussianFlyer wrote:Hi Alistair, that looks a useful site, a cable for my bike the Cruiser 75, will cost around 24 plus shipping. Any idea what the shipping cost to the UK is? Mike
Didn't cost me a lot & I live in New Zealand. Anything I get that weighs less than 2kg from U.K. comes by mail which is quite reasonable. The contact on the site will be able to give you a quote. Alistair

Alistair

Back to top Go down

Re:Speedo Cable

Post  MoscowFlyer on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Alistair, I now have the cost for shipping, it's 11, that plus the cost of the cable, is a total of around 35, it takes a fortnight for delivery. I don't know how that compares on price with other suppliers, but providing the cable is the right dimensions, it's a price I would pay, the last thing I would want to do is get a hammer and chisel to it.
This Canadian site has the length of each cable, plus a photo, so the onus is on you to check before ordering. I am lucky the original cable to my bike is hanging on the garage wall, also with the cables that fit to the gearbox on the 1H, 2T etc, you get the spade adaptor, which I didn't get with my last cable. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Alistair on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 am

Hi Mike,
The cable I got from them was of extremely good quality. If you download the information he has on the site about the cables, looks like you loose inner cable length for every bend, so I took it as important that the original cable path is followed when fitting it.This took a bit of peering at old photos etc. to figure out. After reading it, have wondered if some of the trouble people have with inner cable lengths could be to do with this. There is also an original Smiths document on the site on care of cables & speedos which is quite useful.
Alistair

Alistair

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo Cable

Post  MoscowFlyer on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 am

Yes Alistair, that site has got some good information. On my bike there is only one way the cable can fit, it,s 40.5" long so it can't take any diversions, it has 12" of steel armor for where it passes from the tank to the headlamp, just as the original had, my last replacement cable has not got this. In the end, you get what you pay for. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for all the good advice it was the outer cable I was having thoughts about but a good pair of side cutters did the job.

Regards
Bill
Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top