Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» ITEMS FOR SALE OR WANTED
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm by bill2b

Cruiser 84 advice required.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cruiser 84 advice required.

Post  Kim on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

I have been watching this cruiser 84 on our local web auction site.
I am considering this as my next project but I have seen discussions on here about the AMC engines being hard to find parts for.
As i live half a world away from the swap meets and other places i might find parts i thought it best to enquire here about the struggle i am likely to face.
The last thing i want is to spend my hard earned cash on what might turn out to be impossible to finish.
I guess my question is.. Are the parts for this engine available or would i be buying a headache?
I don't mind a struggle for a great bike but i have to be able to see a end to it somewhere.

Thanks
Kim

Last edited by Kim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed link...)
Kim

Back to top Go down

cruiser 84

Post  piston 197 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 am

Kim ,it looks mostly complete,the only thing i can see that may cause you a problem is the tin cover which sits behind the engine between the 2 fibreglass panels,engine parts are reasonably easy to source over here ,(i have some new pistons and 2nd hand engine spares)The front pipe is available fro Armours of bournemouth and the silencer is a black painted item with an offset tail pipe,but as it is not visible under the covers you could use anything and no-one would know,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Cruiser 84 advice required.

Post  Kim on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 am

Thank you John. As always your advice is invaluable.
Hopefully i can get it for a good price.
With my Merlin finished and ridden daily now(weather permitting) i have been searching for my next project and really wanted to do another FB. There have been a few on trademe lately but they ether want gold for them or are too incomplete to attempt.
Thanks again for the reply.
Take care,
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

cruiser 84

Post  mike Sayer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi Kim, go for it! I`ve got 3 of the blighters & quite a few spares including a lot of engine spares & even a couple of the rare as hens teeth centre panel John mentions. I`ve also made a number of drawings of parts that may be hard to find. I`ll be happy to help in any way I can if you finish up with the beast.
mike. Very Happy
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike. Its good to know that there are still some spares around. I will do my best to aquire the "Beast" but i have seen some projects go for ridiculous sums at times. At the end if the day, I have a price i will pay and if it goes over that i will miss out...Fingers crossed.
Thanks again
Take care
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  tbird on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:08 am

Kim
What does $560 relate to in Sterling please.

Graham (tbird)
tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

286 pounds...If you were considering a bid it does say pickup only so add another 1500 pound for your flights + frieght. lol
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 am

I've removed the link...no offence guys but i have a feeling this is not the place to advertise a bike i really want. Although its more than likely its too late. lol...if anyones really interested google "New Zealand auction websites" and search Francis Barnett...I'm just not going to make it easy lol.
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  tbird on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Don't worry Kim the postage from NZ is a bit too heavy for me and besides I have got an 84 already.
I hope you do get it, please let us back here if you do.???

Good luck

Graham (tbird)
tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Graham, I was thinking of locals (to me) that might try and buy it.
Frieght from here to there would be many hundreds of pounds. I priced having an engine (10D) sent from there to here and it worked out at about 350 pound. I hate to think what a whole bike would cost, very likely more than you could buy a running bike over there.
That $560 bid is mine by the way. I have a feeling it's going to cost near twice that.
Cheers
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:36 am

Bike now at the upper limit of what i will pay with a week to go..It looks like i will miss out.
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:50 am

Hi Kim you never know, hope you get it. have you thought about the one in Hawkes Bay it may be a cheaper restoration, or is that too late a model for you.
Regards
Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:07 am

Hi Bill
The one you speak of has been on trademe for months now. It started at $2200. I made an offer of $1200 about 2 months ago which he ignored. The main difference is the historical registration paperwork and plate number. Besides the Crusier is a bit unusual which is what i like about it. If this deal falls through i might reconsider making another offer on that one..or i could just wait another couple of months and get it for next to nothing.
I am a solo parent of a 14 yr old girl (very expensive these days affraid ) so funds are limited or i would buy both.
Take care
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 am

I have had my eye on it for a while but shipping to Aus can be a bit expensive. I got my Kestrel off trade me (Whakatane), and was lucky got it shipped by my brother in law but he has retired so thats not an option anymore so would have to come down a fair bit before I would have a go at it.

Regards
Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 pm

All the crusiers 84's i have seen/googled have been that green and white scheme.. Can someone please tell me what other colours they came out in Question The one i am talking about here is red and white. Is that an original colour scheme..Just curious scratch
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

colours

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:18 am

Kim
Arden green and white
Black and white
Tartan red and white
Extras to order: chromium plated tank,White wall tyres,crash bar,legshields,luggage equipment
John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 am

Thank you John. I was thinking that the paint looked original. If i manage to get it i will likely stay with the original colouring although i do have a liking for black to match the Merlin.
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Cruiser 84

Post  MoscowFlyer on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Kim, here is the sales brochure for the Tartan red Cruiser 84, looks good. I'm thinking of painting my special in Tartan red. Mike

While searching for the NZ 84, came across this 1954 scrambler, bet JH will be interested. I liked the look of what I think is a Cruiser 68, now if it wasn't for the distance I would go for that.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=2913&searchString=Francis+Barnett&rptpath=0001-&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=31&generalSearch_suggested=0

Last edited by RussianFlyer on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  fb62 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 am

Slightly off the beaten track of this post I apologise, but looking for the scrambler (which I am not sure is origina)l, I found a superb Merlin 59 trials wth provenance which looked the ticket. What do you think John?

John

fb62

Back to top Go down

merlin 59

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 am

The merlin 59 is basically the Falcon 60 with a 122cc engine,never seen one other than in pics,and of course a lot had their engine swapped for the 197cc unit as the rider became more proficient.I personally have Olga Kevelos works falcon 60 and have ridden it in numerous trials unmodified as is and it still is very competitive even against the trick bikes these days,i have had a few wins on this and it is more down to the bike than the rider,John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 am

I agree that the scrambler isn't original. The seller helpfully put up a photo of an original and the frames don't match. As for the other trials bike. That has been on trademe for months at that price. Although it is a very nice bike and probably rare as hens teeth, I doubt he will get his asking price in NZ.
@Mike..Thanks for that picture.
I have considered buying that (what might be a cruiser 68) bike and even offered him 1200 a while back. If the cruiser 84 falls through i might take another run at buying it but he will have to drop a few more hundred. It started out at 2200 a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Kim

Back to top Go down

bikes on trade me

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:15 am

Had a look at the bikes on NZ trademe site
Cruiser 68 1954 model with optional chromed tank,good pretty standard bike apart from seat and rear lamp unit (but this was available to replace the original bakelite one which would not meet the u.k. lighting laws)
Falcon scrambler,appears to be a model 72 scrambler,wrong carb and manifold (should have amal carb) wrong seat (should have HMF racing seat) modified exhaust,wrong guards,and suspect tank
Merlin 59 original bolt up frame of the correct type,correct forks and strap on headlight,correct 10D engine,correct chainguard,a few mods ,but basically o.k.
John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Well i managed to buy the cruiser for $735nzd (or 384 GBP) Very Happy
I will post update after pickup and i know what i have brought.
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:43 am

Thats great news Kim look forward to hearing about your progress once you get it.
GO THE CHIEFS
Regards bill
Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks bill.
I already found out that he has the front pipe for the exhaust which is great as one sent from england would have been very expensive. On the downside..the rego is ex british (i was assuming nz) so no cheap rego for me. He has all the original paper work (he shipped it over here in 1982 himself in parts and never re-assembled it after) There also seems to be some double up on some parts which is handy.
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow... I can hardly wait.
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top