» Cruiser 89 front wheel bearing removal
Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm by kerabo

» 71 Cruiser wiring
Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 pm by Malcolm33

» where to find parts for black hawk
Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 pm by piston 197

» Falcon Handle Bars
Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm by FB vincent

» 1924 Francis Barnett, new owner needs a little help please.
Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 pm by keith.hodgenia

» workshop/parts manual & other... Falcon 1964 info.
Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 pm by Bobberboy

» 2T gear and kickstart levers.
Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:12 pm by jontyknott

» 2015 events
Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 pm by stuart elkes

10E main bearings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

10E main bearings

Post  rustonman on Fri May 25, 2012 9:48 am

I am a new member and helping a young lad in the village to restore a 1958 FB of uncertain model. I have stripped the engine and need to obtain new main bearings. Can anyone advise a good source please?

thanks

rustonman

Back to top Go down

bearings

Post  piston 197 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

You can go to any bearing services and order the bearings ,but you could end up with the right size ,but wrong thing as they need to be C3 radial clearance items,i would advise Nametab engineering 01527 522266,he can supply these from stock and you will get the right thing,JH

piston 197

Back to top Go down

Ruston and Hornsby

Post  bessybarnett on Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi rustonman,

I see you are from Newark. Did you ever work for Ruston's, up the A46 in Lincoln.

Just a thought.

I use to live in Lincoln way back, and my Mum worked for Robey's and my Dad did his apprenticeship at Rustons on The Waterside. We went to Africa for 12 years, came back and he finished his career working for Ruston Gas Turbines.

Sorry to bore you guys, just a bit of useless information!

Pete

bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Ruston Engines

Post  rustonman on Fri May 25, 2012 10:11 pm

bessybarnett wrote:Hi rustonman,

I see you are from Newark. Did you ever work for Ruston's, up the A46 in Lincoln.

Just a thought.

I use to live in Lincoln way back, and my Mum worked for Robey's and my Dad did his apprenticeship at Rustons on The Waterside. We went to Africa for 12 years, came back and he finished his career working for Ruston Gas Turbines.

Sorry to bore you guys, just a bit of useless information!

Pete

I do live near Lincoln Pete, but the tie is that I like Ruston engines and have several which I have restored. i also have one in my narrow boat. Great engines. Sorry if we are off topic. Alan

rustonman

Back to top Go down

Ruston Engines

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat May 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Alan and Pete, I don't mind you going off topic. The name Ruston takes me back to 1962, when I worked in the Civil Engineering, we laid water mains all over the country, to dig the trench we used 10RB's and 22RB's. RB stands for Ruston Bucyrus, the 10RB had a handle to start the engine, it would take two men to swing it, in the winter months, we set fire to a diesel soaked piece of rag on a stick, and let the engine suck the flames into the air intake, and then if we were lucky it would start. It was hard work but we got well paid for it. Now your going to tell me they were nothing to do with Ruston's of Lincoln. Mike

Last edited by RussianFlyer on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

ruston 10rb

Post  rustonman on Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 am

RussianFlyer wrote:Hi Alan and Pete, I don't mind you going off topic. The name Ruston takes me back to 1962, when I worked in the Civil Engineering, we layed water mains all over the country, to dig the trench we used 10RB's and 22RB's. RB stands for Ruston Bucyrus, the 10RB had a handle to start the engine, it would take two men to swing it, in the winter months, we set fire to a diesel soaked piece of rag on a stick, and let the engine suck the flames into the air intake, and then if we were lucky it would start. It was hard work but we got well paid for it. Now your going to tell me they were nothing to do with Ruston's of Lincoln. Mike

As far as I am aware the Ruston 10RB was fitted with a Ruston 3VRH 34hp engine. These were made at the Lincoln works off Tritton Road. The building is still there but it isn't Ruston any more. I have the smaller sister the 3VSH in my boat. 17.5 hp at 750rpm, just the job for a narrowboat, bags of torque and slow revving. I certainly wouldn't like to swing even my engine, it would be bad back time......... I have fitted a 24volt CAV starter motor which whizzes the 22inch flywheel around. She starts from cold quite easily. Once she is running there isn't much to stop her and I suppose the engine fitted to the cranes were just the same.The engine I am working on I believe is a 10e, which at 197cc which is a little smaller, thank goodness.
regards Alan

rustonman

Back to top Go down

Villiers 10E

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun May 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks Alan for your reply, hope the engine recondition goes well, if the engine is the villiers 10E, then the bike could be the Falcon 81. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum