» More carb problems
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 pm by Sgtbiro

» trials shake down run( a few teething problems) bike and rider
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 pm by denman

Falcon 74 Centre Stand Pivot Tubes

Go down

Post  Osmerus on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I have now received all the components for the frame of my Falcon 74 back from the powder coater. I have begun reassembly and realise that some of the parts for the Centre Stand Pivot should be replaced at this stage. The Centre Stand Distance Tubes ( Parts Number 5682 and 5683 ) are easy to make and I notice that the Left Hand Distance Tube has been abraded by a slack main chain. There is some evidence of a thin section plastic tube attached to this component which is probably the remains of the Plastic Sleeve for the Left Hand Centre Stand Distance Tube ( Part Number 5384).

Can anybody please give me an idea of the dimensions of this sleeve and material from it was made. I suspect that the purpose of the plastic sleeve was to protect the Distance Tube from being abraded by the chain. Has anybody tried a roller at this location? I had a BMW F650 Strada with a chain roller.

Looking forward to hearing from anybody willing to offer help.

Osmerus
Osmerus

http://www.simonbowditchillustrations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

plastic tube?

Post  piston 197 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:53 pm

I would suggest someone has added this to prevent the chain wearing the distance tube,normally with a correctly adjusted chain and the correct size sprockets and correct shock absorber length,this will not be required.Having made chain guides for trials bikes ,i have always used urethane,but in this instance you should not require anything,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Plastic tube

Post  fulmar88 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Os / JH, My Falcon 81 also had the remains of a plastic sleeve over this tube. It is a standard fitment I believe. I've read in FB literature that it is to prevent chain rattle over rough surfaces. When I rebuilt my bike I used a piece of plastic plumbing pipe, sliced it along its length as the dia was too small and then opened it out to ease it over the tube. It naturally wants to return to its round shape so grips the tube but I added a cable tie just to make sure it stayed in place.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

PLASTIC TUBE

Post  piston 197 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Well everyday is a schoolday! i have taken apart numerous falcons (74.81,87) and never seen a plastic tube over the spacer?,but i have seen chain grooves worn into the spacer on every occasion! and can understand the necessity for one,so i have to ask was this a standard part in the parts book,or a retro-fit to get over the problem,if someone has a parts book that shows this tube with a plastic spacer over it then i guess it was a standard part,possibly introduced as the problem became apparent,if so my apologies are offered.JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Plastic Tube

Post  fulmar88 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

JH, I still have the plastic tube at home (never could throw anything away). I'll take a photo. I wish I could remember where I read about the chain rattle. Maybe in J Goddards book? I'll check my parts book / instruction book when I get home.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Chain rattle

Post  FB vincent on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Not entirely relevant, but the Villiers 30C engined Plover incorporated a rubber covered steel roller to prevent the chain rattling against the frame.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Plastic tube Pic

Post  fulmar88 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Chaps, As promised please see photos below. The tube is about an inch long. As you can see it's been worn away almost completely by the chain. The other two pics are from JH Goddard's book (2nd edition 1961) page 199 and 201 covering the Falcon 81 and Falcon 87. Interestingly in the Falcon 74 section it doesn't mention the plastic sleeve although it does mention other mid season changes to the lower chainguard (raising it 1/4") to avoid rattle.

John, As you said, every day is potentially a school day!

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

And the parts list

Post  fulmar88 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Chaps, Please see pics below of the Frame Layout drawing that is in the Falcon 81 Instruction book. First pic shows sleeve (item 80). The second pic shows the listing as 'Plastic Sleeve' (first item at the top). The third pic shows the general drawing (for info).

Steve.

fulmar88

Back to top Go down

plastic sleeve

Post  piston 197 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:24 am

Steve ,excellent info,so presumably this was added when the falcon 81 came out,and or presumably a retro-fit on the falcon 74,The falcon 81 i believe runs a smaller dia (less teeth) rear sprocket, than the 74,so maybe this created the problem,and the engineers added the tube as a fix,but you can't argue with the facts from the horses mouth,maybe a similiar copy of the frame layout/parts book for the falcon74 will show whether this was a standard part on the 74 as well .JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Centre stand pivot tubes

Post  myquest on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:50 am

I've slid a short length of plastic plumbing pipe over my Falcon 81!
Even with the chain adjusted correctly, I occasionally hear it 'zizzing' round on overrun.
Michael
myquest

Back to top Go down

Plastic Sleeve

Post  bessybarnett on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:35 pm

See photo of my worn metal sleeve from my Falcon 74. New one made early this year and covered it with a piece of toilet cystern overflow pipe!!, split to fit as suggested by Steve. Works a treat. Saw this mentioned in Goddards at the time when I was looking for some advice on how much to adjust the chain by. (I have fitted a new chain).

Great drawings Steve. - From original FB factory ones I guess?

Pete

Last edited by bessybarnett on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  Osmerus on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 pm

May I take this opportunity to thank everybody who replied to my enquiry. Those factory drawings really did reveal what the manuafacturers had intended and as several of you have suggested this is an easy item to replicate. How does a relatively new member of the FBOC go about acquiring copies of the available drawings for the Faclon 74?

Many thanks to all

Osmerus
Osmerus

http://www.simonbowditchillustrations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 74 Centre Stand Pivot Tubes

Post  fulmar88 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Osmerus wrote:May I take this opportunity to thank everybody who replied to my enquiry. Those factory drawings really did reveal what the manuafacturers had intended and as several of you have suggested this is an easy item to replicate. How does a relatively new member of the FBOC go about acquiring copies of the available drawings for the Faclon 74?

Many thanks to all

Osmerus

Os, The drawing I put up was actually included (folded) in the instruction book for the Falcon 81 as far as I know (complete with quite a few errors including incorrectly labelled section views). I am not aware of a similar drawing being available for other models. There are many similarities between the 74 and 81 though and I can email you a copy of the drawing if you wish. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll scan it at work on monday and send it off. Same goes for anyone else needing a copy.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Drawing

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi, I have one of those section drawings in the back of my instruction book, that is for the 1956 Cruiser 75, so there were probably some for the Falcon 74 too. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Falcln 74 frame and centre stand drawings.

Post  Bob Randall on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:34 pm

fulmar88 wrote:
Osmerus wrote:May I take this opportunity to thank everybody who replied to my enquiry. Those factory drawings really did reveal what the manuafacturers had intended and as several of you have suggested this is an easy item to replicate. How does a relatively new member of the FBOC go about acquiring copies of the available drawings for the Faclon 74?

Many thanks to all

Osmerus

Os, The drawing I put up was actually included (folded) in the instruction book for the Falcon 81 as far as I know (complete with quite a few errors including incorrectly labelled section views). I am not aware of a similar drawing being available for other models. There are many similarities between the 74 and 81 though and I can email you a copy of the drawing if you wish. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll scan it at work on monday and send it off. Same goes for anyone else needing a copy.

Steve.
[left]

Hello Steve.
My name is Rob Randall I have been a member for some time (lapsed) membership number 214.
I have now re registered. I have almost completed the restorsation of my Falcoln 74 but need some detailed info regarding the centre stand spacers, stoplight fixing and front chain guard. I see from the pictures of the drawings you have that they would be a tremendous help. Would it be possible to le me have copies of any drawings you may have.
Thanks Rob

Bob Randall

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Snook on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 am

I have a Cruiser 75 basket case that I am steadily getting stuff for. I have seen reference to a double lift centre stand, but don't know if I have the bits or not. would it be possibvle to get a copy of that excellent drawing shown by 'Russianflyer' anywhere? or possibly copy or buy a copy of yours? Wink Wink Very Happy
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Cruiser 75 Double Lift Stand

Post  MoscowFlyer on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Ted, here is the drawing of the double lift stand. Glad to hear you are putting another Cruiser 75 together. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Snook on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks for the illustration Mike, I have some checking to do but I don't think that I have all of the parts. Was it a standard fitting or was it an extra? Wink Question Wink
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Cruiser 75

Post  MoscowFlyer on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:52 am

Yes it was a standard fitting, but there is another stand which was fitted to the Cruiser 71, this is more of a standard looking stand, but it lifts the bike high in one go, this makes it hard to get the bike onto it's stand, probably why they came up with the double lift stand in the first place. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  fulmar88 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 pm

[quote="Bob Randall"][

Hello Steve.
My name is Rob Randall I have been a member for some time (lapsed) membership number 214.
I have now re registered. I have almost completed the restorsation of my Falcoln 74 but need some detailed info regarding the centre stand spacers, stoplight fixing and front chain guard. I see from the pictures of the drawings you have that they would be a tremendous help. Would it be possible to le me have copies of any drawings you may have.
Thanks Rob

Rob,
If you PM (Private Message) me your email address I'll send you a scan of the drawing.

regards,
Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum