» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

Urgent! Painting guidance needed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Urgent! Painting guidance needed!

Post  FB_Devil on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:44 am

Hi All, about to start painting a cruiser 75 (all green) and cruiser 89 (black and white) and could do with some help ref where to line the tanks. I am aware that the cruiser 75 has twin gold lining. I am am struggling to identify where the lining (and how many lines there should be) for the paint on the cruiser 89. I have seen many photos of cruiser 75s/89s painted in different ways on the net but I have no idea which ones are good examples for me to copy. Please can some one provide me with guidance and photo examples of:

Cruiser 75 - proper lining (gold lines on green tank)
Cruiser 89 - proper painting and lining (gold lining - two lines? - on a black and white tank)

Rapid responses appreciated as keen to get started whilst the good weather holds ....

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

Black and White Cruiser 89 tank lining

Post  FB vincent on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:37 pm

For the Black and White Cruiser 89 the 1964 FB sales catalogue has the details you require. If you don't have a copy, here is the critical photo. Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

89 tank lines

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Sandy
Mine is Green and White are the lines in the same place please and can you PM me that picture please.

Graham (tbird)

Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent! Painting guidance needed!

Post  FB_Devil on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi All, still need a bit of help guys as paintwork is progressing now we have had some good weather at last. If anyone could help me with the following that would be great:

Cruiser 89 - Black and white - 1962 - does any one know the width of the two gold lines on the 1962 model?

Cruiser 75 - Arden Green - 1957 - if anyone could provide me with photographs of the gold lining on the tank it would be much appreciated as I cannot find one - again, width of the line would be appreciated if anyone can provide measurements.

Engines are ready, wheel rims have arrived, chroming completed assembly starting next month ready for a couple of shows next year maybe .... !

Assistance much appreciated - Cheers Mike

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  FB_Devil on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Guys - would really appreciate some help on this - also some one has mentioned that the Cruiser 75 had two gold lines on the tank for the 1957 model - is that the case? Mike

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

FB Cruiser 89

Post  FB vincent on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:19 pm

FB_Devil wrote:Hi All, still need a bit of help guys as paintwork is progressing now we have had some good weather at last. If anyone could help me with the following that would be great:

Cruiser 89 - Black and white - 1962 - does any one know the width of the two gold lines on the 1962 model?

Cruiser 75 - Arden Green - 1957 - if anyone could provide me with photographs of the gold lining on the tank it would be much appreciated as I cannot find one - again, width of the line would be appreciated if anyone can provide measurements.

Engines are ready, wheel rims have arrived, chroming completed assembly starting next month ready for a couple of shows next year maybe .... !

Assistance much appreciated - Cheers Mike

For the 1964 Cruiser 89 my photo as above is correct showing the two hand painted lines, but for the 1962 model year Cruiser 89 in any colour (also Falcon 87 and Cruiser 80/84) the tank should have the lined transfer (8 lines, I think).

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  FB_Devil on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Now confused - just read this ...

http://fboc.niceboards.org/t2085-cruiser89-transfers?highlight=Cruiser+transfer

Can anyone give definitive response for the lining for a 1962 cruiser 89 please?

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

Crusiers 89

Post  MoscowFlyer on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Mike, glad to hear your nearing the end of your restoration, hope the parts you had from me have been of some use. The pic of the Cruiser 89 tank I put up in that previous post, was from the 1962 spares book for the 89.
As for the stripe on the Cruiser 75 tank, I don't know if there were one or two, I have just bought some gold tape for mine, it is 6mm and 3mm, I may just put one stripe on mine. If you want to try some of this tap, there is 10 meters on the roll, I got it off ebay, it was only about 4. Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLD-6MM-PIN-STRIPE-COACHLINE-TAPE-x-10-METRE-/261016934133?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc5d256f5
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  FB_Devil on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks Mike - will probably go for a single line on the cruiser 75 as well. As for the cruiser 89 leaning towards the two gold stripes rather than the transfer as I think that it looks better. I have some tape but thanks for the info. M

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

FB Cruiser tank lining

Post  FB vincent on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:37 am

FB_Devil wrote:Now confused - just read this ...

http://fboc.niceboards.org/t2085-cruiser89-transfers?highlight=Cruiser+transfer

Can anyone give definitive response for the lining for a 1962 cruiser 89 please?

I think the 1962 sales catalogue (extract below) provides the necessary evidence for transfers for this model year, backed up by photos included in road tests for the Cruiser 89 contained in Motor Cycling and Motorcycle Mechanics for this year. 1962 was also the last year of the upright front numberplate. Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Tank Lining

Post  MoscowFlyer on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Mike, just had a practise with the tape on a spare tank, it's not good news, it's alright on the straight bits, but will not go around the corners without puckering up, I tryed snipping it, but it looks a mess. When I took it off, it removed the paint, so be warned. Sad Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Pin stripe

Post  andy4205 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:40 pm

I have a beugler Pinstriping tool if any one wants to borrow

Regards
Andy

andy4205

Back to top Go down

Post  FB_Devil on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Guys, thanks for all of the help. Does any one have any pdf versions of the sales literature or magazine road tests for these bikes that they could send to me please:

Cruiser 75 - 1956/7
Cruiser 89 - 1962

Continuing to work hard on these bikes at the mo ...

Much appreciated. M

PS Mike - thanks for the tip on the lining tape - will have a play this weekend with my tape and let you know how I get oin.
PPS Andy - thanks for the offer, may take you up on that offer if the tape does not work out!

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

Tank lining

Post  FB vincent on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 pm

FB_Devil wrote:Hi Guys, thanks for all of the help. Does any one have any pdf versions of the sales literature or magazine road tests for these bikes that they could send to me please:

Cruiser 75 - 1956/7
Cruiser 89 - 1962

Continuing to work hard on these bikes at the mo ...

Much appreciated. M

PS Mike - thanks for the tip on the lining tape - will have a play this weekend with my tape and let you know how I get oin.
PPS Andy - thanks for the offer, may take you up on that offer if the tape does not work out!

I found that the fine line tape as supplied by RS Bike Paints will do the job ok, including bends, assuming of course that the underlying paint layer is applied correctly.

The FBOC Librarian will, I am sure, be able to provide you with copies of the original FBOC sales catalogues. I can provide the road test reports for the Cruiser 89 that I referred to if you send me a PM with your email address. Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  FB_Devil on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks - I have the tape from RSBP so will have a go soon. Thx M

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  FB_Devil on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 am

Hi all, thanks for all of the help. Decided to go for the proper tank transfers for the 1962 cruiser as per the 1962 sales literature- the transfers from classic transfers have arrived but they are 6 equally spaced white lines. Nnot sure that this is right as I see from the sales literatire that the top and botton lines are spaced further apart - does any one also know whether the top and bottom lines were white in colour or gold lines? Again, help appreciated. May have to tinker with the transfers before I put them on the tank ....

FB_Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top