» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

1H ignition using 2 wire ignition coil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1H ignition using 2 wire ignition coil

Post  vanmale on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:50 pm

This is in connection to my earlier query about 1H ignition timing.
I have bought a 6 volt twin ignition coil and I am trying to work out how its wired up.
First, does the Flywheel Generator still play a part in the modified wiring arrangement.
The new twin coil has +, and - terminals, which goes to where.
You also mention that the 2 low tension contacts from the twin coil go as per 1H wiring diagram, but one lead goes to the contact breaker via the ignition switch (can I bypass this switch and wire straight to the points) and the other one goes to low tension ignition coils in the stator, is this still the way to wiring up the new twin coil?
Or has the new wiring got to be as in the Villiers Singles Improvement which Robert James sent me in the original reply that the - terminal is wired to earth and the + terminal to the contact breaker.
I hope this makes sense to you who read this, and hopefully can understand, to can point me in the right direction, because I certainly need to be pointed in the right direction as I seem to be going round in circles and will soon be disappearing up my own !!!
Once again waiting in hope.
John Vincent

vanmale

Back to top Go down

1H ignition coil

Post  Mikexyz on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 am

Hello,

Your wiring must be as per handbook.
Wire the low tension '+' to the stator coils, (red lead) via large diameter plug pin, (it also is connected to the rectifier).
The low tension '-' goes to the ignition switch/ points via the middle small plug pin, you can leave out the switch if you wish but then you'll have to stall the bike to stop the engine!

You should have 2 HT leads, connect one to good earth t'other goes to your plug.

If you're not sure PM me with your address + I'll send a diagram.

Mike

Mikexyz

Back to top Go down

Me too please

Post  Shipbuilder on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Mikexyz wrote:Hello,

Your wiring must be as per handbook.
Wire the low tension '+' to the stator coils, (red lead) via large diameter plug pin, (it also is connected to the rectifier).
The low tension '-' goes to the ignition switch/ points via the middle small plug pin,  you can leave out the switch if you wish but then you'll have to stall the bike to stop the engine!

You should have 2 HT leads, connect one to good earth t'other goes to your plug.

If you're not sure PM me with your address + I'll send a diagram.

Mike

If I send you my email address could you please also send me this info. I am in a similar position in that my Sun which has a 1H fitted started to miss and then eventually lost it's spark completely.
I have been right through the ignition system including the magneto checking continuity etc and have concluded that the original Villiers coil has failed. There is still a circuit through the coil but I cannot find any reference to the resistance values I should be finding or the internal connections.

Regards Derek

Shipbuilder

Back to top Go down

Re: 1H ignition using 2 wire ignition coil

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top