Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

First ride of the year

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: First ride of the year

Post  Malfisher on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:07 pm

fulmar88 wrote: Malc, daily transport, I don't think so Laughing unless you're free every evening to fix it.

Steve.

I tend to think youre right Steve! Laughing Glad to hear the ignition bit went well though.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

HT mods

Post  myquest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Excellent stuff, boys. think I might just do that on my Falcon 81..

At the mo - it's U/S as I'm refurbing the front forks - as described by Mr.Lloyd in The Directory.
(The honing tool has gone up in price to 17+..!) Just awaiting the arrival of new bushings so that I can turn to exact size.
Good 'ere - innit..?

Michael
myquest

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Can you tell me where youre getting the bushings from Michael? I think Im going to have to do my 81 soon.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Front fork bushes

Post  myquest on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:26 am

Hello, Malc.

I'm getting the fork bushings from SIMPLY BEARINGS.
They have a comprehensive listing on the internet. In fact, they should arrive this morning.
Have ordered 4 off: 30mm X 40 X 35 (I.D X O.D. X Length) Oilite bushes. However, on measuring the stanchions - after a light hone, think I could have managed with 38mm O.D.
Be aware though, that the stanchions at the lower end are of reduced diameter and will require smaller I.D - hence me ordering 30mm I.D. units.Total cost inc P & P 28.22.

I'll advise how the job goes.

Michael
myquest

Back to top Go down

oilite bushes

Post  piston 197 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 am

From my experience ,if you are using oilite bushes ,how are you going to attatch them to the fork legs? oilite bushes are impregnated with oil and the bushes need to be soldered to the fork legs,when heated these bushes will produce lots of smoke and oil that will prevent them being soldered to the fork legs.I don't like to be a killjoy,but i think you need plain bronze bushes ,not oilite.JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Front fork bushes

Post  myquest on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 am

Hello, John - and Malc.
Yes, I'd figured that, when reading the magazine article.
However, I'll probably interference fit/Araldite them on using a long threaded puller rod up through the leg to wind them up the stanchions whilst warm. I'm also considering tapping a locator grubscrew in each one to mate with a drilled 'dimple' in the stanchion, as a belt & braces fix.. Will cross that bridge etc...

Of interest - I found when removing the old bushes, that although soldered on, were of the Oilite type also:- They oozed loads of black oil from every pore when I applied the torch and appeared to be the original parts, too!

Malc - A minor amendment to my info on the Simply Bearings order (P/No AM.3040-35.PL); The price being for a standard pack of 5 bushes - not four. I'll probably need a spare - in case I make a slip-up on the lathe....
Will advise the outcome after playtime.
Michael
myquest

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:46 am

Tanks for the info Michael thats great!

Arent the origionals oilite John? If so, I wonder how they did them?

Malc

edit, I just read Michaels post! I think I can see the way forwards now, ta for the additional info I'll be keen to see the outcome, mine have play in that was noticed by the mot tester.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Bushes

Post  kerabo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 am

Have to go along with JH on the oilite bushes. I fitted mine at work using the gas plant and loads of flux. Was difficult but managed it Looking back I would use locktite next time. Why do you need to hone the fork legs. I found it was the bushes that are just a fraction out with high spots. Your fork legs will wear a little but only one direction. I just polished them off with some fine emmery and kept trying them untill perfect fit.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Has anyone actually used loctite for these bushes and done plenty of miles on them?

Im just curious as I didnt think loctite was that good, theres got to be some pressure on them bushes no? Some of the roads Ive been on today have lots of serious bumps, would loctite take it on a regular basis?

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

loctite

Post  piston 197 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I have used loctite in various engineering applications,bearing fit,srewlock,dowel fit etc,it is important to use the correct loctite product for the application from the dozens of grades/formulas available from loctite.Generally if using the correct product for the correct application produces very good results,as loctite products tend to be anerobic good clean surfaces are a requirement.My product knowledge is not good enough to suggest its performance with oilite bushes.I would think contact would have to be made with loctite products for their comments,when i was in engineering they had an excellent technical helpline that could be consulted,i would presume this is now online somewhere and they could point the user to the correct product to secure oilite bushes externally to steel tube ,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

After reading Johns post, I thiought yes, ask them. Anyway I just spoke to a very nice chap at Loctite, and he has told me that to fix the oilite bushes we need Loctite 603 as it bonds to oil, available from Cromwell Tools online, or in my case, Brammer's at Wolverhampton. Very Happy

Malc

Edit: heres a link

Loctite 603

Last edited by Malfisher on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to include link)
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top