» 1954 Falcon 67
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

» Carb problems.
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm by Sgtbiro

wIRING FOR 1956 CRUISER 75 WITH 1H ENGINE

Go down

wIRING FOR 1956 CRUISER 75 WITH 1H ENGINE

Post  chambers on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 pm

i AM RESTORING A 1956 CRUISER 75 WITH A VILLIERS 1H ENGINE. THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THIS MODEL SHOWS A PURPLE WIRE FROM THE AMP METER TO THE BOTTOM MOUNTING HOLE OF THE RECTIFIER. THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A TERMINAL TO CONNECT THIS WIRE TO. aT THE MOMENT MINE IS CLIPPED ON TO THE CASING OF THE RECTIFIER WITH A CROCODILE CLIP. cAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE IT SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO AND WHAT IS IT FOR. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN ANSWER MY QUESTION AND AM LOOKING FORWARD TO A REPLY. THANK YOU, TEG

chambers

Back to top Go down

Wiring Cruiser 75

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Teg, I have the Cruiser 75 and can confirm that the purple wire is bolted to one of the lugs on the bottom corner of the rectifier. I replaced the old type rectifier with the modern bridge type, this was after the old one started to breakdown and became unreliable. The modern type are very reliable and give an improved charge. If you decide to fit a modern one, I can show you the way I wired it. Mike Cool
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

wiring cruiser 75

Post  chambers on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your response to my problem. I have just purchased a modern rectifier which is not fitted yet so yes, I would be very grateful for your help with wiring it up, how do we proceed?

By the way, my name is Tommy and my friend Patrick Phelan, who now owns two of the bikes that went to Russia with you told me about this website. Looking forward to hearing from you, kind regards, Tommy

chambers

Back to top Go down

Wiring Cruiser 75

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi Tommy, I knew Patrick has two of the bikes that went to Russia, very nice bikes they are too. I had a very close encounter with the rear end of the 89, but that's another story.

The diagram below shows the way I have mine wired, and I've done many thousands of mile with no problems. I have three of these modern rectifiers positioned along the little ledge just behind the battery, I made the connecting wires long enough to go from one to another, but with these rectifiers being so reliable I've never needed to use the other two.
I don't know if you need to earth the casing or not, some say you do, mine are fixed with self tapping screws through the centre hole. Mike Cool

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

wiring for 75 cruiser

Post  chambers on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Mike thank you very much for the information you have given me. The diagram looks simple enough. I'm sure Pat and I can manage to decipher this mass of wrong coloured wires sprouting from every orifice on my franny. I looked inside the headlight and could not get the front on quick enough. ha ha. Thanks again Mike, I will let you know how we get on. Tommy study

chambers

Back to top Go down

Wiring for 1956 cruiser 75

Post  chamberslane on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Mike, Many thanks for providing my mate Tommy with the information to enable us to fit the modern solid state rectifier. Hopefully it will mean another FB back on the road this year. I am intrigued about your reference to a close encounter with the back end of my cruiser 89. Are you going to tell us more?
Patrick. :
chamberslane

Back to top Go down

Wiring Cruiser 75

Post  MoscowFlyer on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Patrick and Tommy, There are many stories to be told. Mike  Cool

It was 7pm on the 17th August 1999, we were just leaving the Russian/Belarus boarder on route to Smolensk and it was getting dark. We were three FBOC members trying to get from the UK to Moscow and back, our bikes were Cruisers 71, 75, and 89. We had not planned to ride in the dark but had been held at the boarder longer than anticipated. It had been ten long hours since we had left our hotel in Vilnius that morning and we still had two hours travelling to do. I was fifty three and very much feeling my age. The 71 led the way with its 12v lighting and a Halogen sealed beam unit, then the 89 with its 12v lighting and faulty brake light which by this stage was permanently on, with me bringing up the rear on my 75 with it’s 6v lighting which in these conditions was useless. As we rode along it got very dark, there were no road markings no moonlight just total blackness. As we travelled along at 50mph my eyes were locked onto the bright brake light in front, it was just like riding down a black hole. Then after about an hour all of a sudden without warning the two bikes in front braked hard, I was on top of the 89 in an instant having no time to brake, reflexes took over, I some how leaned the bike over my left nee missing the back of the 89 by a few millimetres, as I fought to keep control of my bike, I could see all these pairs of eyes in my 6v beam of light. By the time I regained full control the other two were a  hundred yards up the road, I once more locked my eyes on that brake light and gave my bike all it had till I caught up. As we travelled along we were hitting pot holes, unable to see them in the dark.  We reached our hotel at 9 o’clock it had been a long long day. It’s funny but I never asked the question until recently. What had been the reason for them braking so hard? The answer, a pack of dogs on the road, or were they wolf? Ether way I would have been on their menu for dinner had I fallen off!  Mike
The well travelled Cruiser 71 and 89 are now owned by Chamberslane
Has anyone else got an interesting story to tell?

Sixteen years on, and I can still remember that night vividly.

Last edited by MoscowFlyer on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: wIRING FOR 1956 CRUISER 75 WITH 1H ENGINE

Post  Malfisher on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Mike, any idea if the same wiring would apply for a 10e powered Falcon 81?

There was 2 thin black wires coming out of the top of the rectifier, and a violet coloured one fastened to the body of it with a tab.

Onr the wiring diagramme, and on the loom I have a light green, and violet, the green is from the recitfier to pole 7 on the switch, the violet from the rectifier, to the ammeter and to pole 4 on the switch.

but theres the ones from the plug on top of the flywheel, the yellow of that goes direct to the light switch pole 1, so Im presuming the other one, dark green, goes to the new rectifier where your red one does?

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Wiring the rectifier

Post  MoscowFlyer on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Malc, to be honest I don't know, I know you wire these rectifiers differently on some bikes than others. I've put a wiring diagram of my bike for you to compare. Mike Cool
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks Mike, thats pretty well cleared it up for me, I can understand the difference now.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Wiring for a 1956 cruiser 75

Post  chamberslane on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:41 am

Hi Mike,
Great story and what wonderful memories you will always have, and all done without three bike mounted cameramen and two Toyota Landcruisers full of back up mechanics and every spare you can think of. It proves you dont need the latest model BMW GS undertake the trip of a lifetime. Well done to the three of you.
What a pity Mike Goulding couldnt complete the trip on the cruiser 89 he must have been devastated . Plus the logistics of getting himself and the damaged bike home.
By the way that stop light works fine now. Incidentally I seem to recall Mike telling me that his cruiser twin was more economical than the two 225cc singles.
Patrick

chamberslane

Back to top Go down

Russian Trip

Post  MoscowFlyer on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Patrick, yes I remember Mike's 89 using less fuel, you would think a twin would use more. It was interesting that in Russia you pay for your fuel before you get it, so you have to guesstimate how much you can get in, and we needed to fill the tank to the brim as we never knew when we would see another, well I hesitate to call them petrol stations. They were containers with a hose coming out, and a well protected kiosk. If you couldn't get all your fuel in, you would give it to the next guy in the queue. We were offered fuel from Russians, but had to refure as they used the two star, and we were useing four star. It was so cheap, 40p a litre if memory serves, I wish I could get some of that now! Mike Cool
I would just like to add, that services were fine on all major highways. I would not want to put off anyone thinking of doing this trip in the future.

Last edited by RussianFlyer on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Wiring for a 1956 cruiser 75

Post  chamberslane on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 am

Hi Mike;
Solid state rectifier now fitted to Tommy,s cruiser 75 and working fine . Thanks again for the help. Hese now got the clutch dismantled to try to cure sticky plates ,he wont be happy till everything is working correctly. I hope Im as fit and active as he is when I reach 81yrs.
With regard to the fuel consumption on the singles and twins, I have a 1957 Triumph 21 350cc twin that never does less than 70mpg and is quite happy to thrum along at 50-55mph all day. Is a twin more efficient than a single?.
Thanks again Patrick.

chamberslane

Back to top Go down

Engines

Post  kerabo on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:41 pm

2 strokes are not so efficent as a 4 stroke as on each power stroke, some of the gasses that are producing power escape from the exhaust port before the piston is at the bottom of its stroke so that last 1" or so is wasted.

The economy thing. These old engines produce lots of poloution and although they are economical the gasses are full of poloutants. A modern engine although it wont do as many MPG is much cleaner.

The twin single thing. There is not a lot of difference between a twin or a single but the time comes where the size of the bore will restrict the size of the valves and this in turn will cause poor scavenging. You will find new cars have plugs as small as a pencil to allow the largest valves possible to be used and 4 to a cylinder.

I know it dont make sense but even a modern Diesel with CAT on would do about 3 MPG more with it missing but let more smoke out.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

new item

Post  RPILKY on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:46 pm

[quote="MoscowFlyer"]Hi Teg, I have the Cruiser 75 and can confirm that the purple wire is bolted to one of the lugs on the bottom corner of the rectifier. I replaced the old type rectifier with the modern bridge type, this was after the old one started to breakdown and became unreliable. The modern type are very reliable and give an improved charge. If you decide to fit a modern one, I can show you the way I wired it. Mike  Cool   [ote]
Where did yiu purchase your new bridge type rectifer from cheers bob

RPILKY

http://RPILKY@AOL.COM

Back to top Go down

new item

Post  MoscowFlyer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi, I bought my rectifier from an auto jumble, they also sell them on eBay example below. Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Motorcycle-solid-state-rectifier-6-or-12-volt-/222013104908?hash=item33b103230c:g:z08AAOSw42JWDtBV
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum