» Cruiser 75 Generator Coils
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» ITEMS FOR SALE OR WANTED
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm by bill2b

Light Cruiser colours

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Light Cruiser colours

Post  mike Sayer on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 am

Hi all, was the Light Cruiser 79 ever supplied painted black does anyone know?
Mike.
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Light Cruiser

Post  FB vincent on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:28 pm

When introduced, it was sold in Arden Green only, but by 1959 was offered in Arden Green and Dover White OR Burma Red. I don't think any would have been sold in black- I certainly don't remember one. It would be another couple of years before any FB's were finished in the Black and White option, but by then the Light Cruiser was just history. Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Light Cruiser colours

Post  mike Sayer on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks Sandy, my mate George who has the said Light Cruiser, also has the original buff log book, but frustratingly, no colour is entered in the book!
Regards, Mike. Shocked
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Colours

Post  fulmar88 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:33 am

Chaps, Am I right in suggesting that bikes that were the 'standard' colour ie. green in this case had no letter at the end of the frame number but bikes that were an optional colour had for example 'R' for Red, 'W' for White, and 'BW' for Black & White. This is certainly true for my '59 Falcon 81 which is white and has a W at the end of its frame number. I have seen 'R's and 'BW's in for other machines in Arthur Gent's list of known machines. Ask your friend to check his frame number.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

colours

Post  piston 197 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Yes ,you are right,the colour options were suffixed after the frame No, B 1n the case of early 50's falcons/merlins (for azure blue),then the post 59 colours BW (BLACK/WHITE) R (RED OR RED/GREEN) W (WHITE OR GREEN/WHITE) NO SUFFIX (GREEN)whether red or red/green ,or white or white/green depends on the model i.e R on a 59 plover is all red, and on a light cruiser is red and green! JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

colours

Post  mike Sayer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks Steve & John, the `bike in question has frame no. BBD11954 with no suffix so I guess it was originally green & must have been repainted black at some time & the colour recorded as black when the new V5 was issued.(there was no colour entered on the original buff logbook).
Thanks for everyones input.
mike. Very Happy
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Red / Green

Post  fulmar88 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:11 pm

I remembered seeing this light cruiser at the agm this year. There can't have been many of this colour combination sold! Even the top of the seat is red and the sides green. The Styling department must have been on the pop the night before this decision was made! As you can see the main forks/frame sections are green and the tank, mudguards and fairing red. Of course I'm not having a go at the bike. A rarity such as this should be cherished as any other. Apologies to Mike Ahern for his starring role in the photo but it is the only one I had showing the bike.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Red Light Cruiser

Post  MoscowFlyer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Apologies accepted Steve! I'm only sorry I got in the way. I remember that bike and I think I know who the owner is. I had a Light Cruiser back in the seventies, it had a black frame and red tank. I sold the bike but still have the old style logbook, it will be interesting to see the frame number, when I can find it. Mike Cool Frame No BBD-----W so it looks like that one was white originally.
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: Light Cruiser colours

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top